SR20DE Build-up

I’m loving this thread. Very informative. I know my way around the basics of a motor, but I’d like to do a full buildup of my SR next winter, and I’m hoping to start up my mechanic’s apprenticeship soon, so every piece of info I can gather heading into that is fantastic. Plus since this is an SR, and I’m planning on (it sounds like) a similar direction to you, however not exact, this is beautiful.

What are you planning on doing for your valvetrain? I’m assuming you’re ditching the hydraulic POS that comes with them from the factory? Brian Crower?

What kind of a project are you looking to build? as far as the valvetrain goes, im looking to keep it mostly stock until i have the money for the expensive stuff. i plan to put the motor in with stock valves, springs, cams, POS (im assuming are the lifter things, what does that stand for?) but I will spring for the greddy rocker stoppers, and some adjustable cam gears, i wanna see if i can get some scavanging goin on with the stock cams and a high velocity exhaust system (2.25" id) until i can affoard a nice valvetrain setup. I’ll run that at the stock redline unitl i can affoard a good engine management, then run the stock injectors at their max until i can affoard a good top feed injector setup. I’m doing it in stages with the eventual goal of a 9000RPM redline and well over 200 to the wheels N/A.

great detailed write up terry u know ur SRs man one thing im not sure is why r u going with NA and wouldnt u need a higher compression pistons for that?

I want an N/A motor because i dont want a turbo winter car, and i like the throttle response, fuel economy, no lag, originality, exhaust note, working with what I have, I will have a brand new SR when im finished, It’s cheap cuz i work in an engine shop but mostly because i have always been facinated with high revving N/A motors. I am going with high compression pistons, i will probably put in the order with JGY customs tomorrow for a custom set of 10.5:1 CP Pistons

Why not go N/A? Everyone turbos. They’re cool, and have definate advantages, but you can’t argue with low end torque, no turbo lag, and badassed originality of an N/A, built SR.

Honestly, if i could do it all over again, i would seriously look at dropping in an SR20VE or SR16VE. they put like 180hp to the ground out of the box, no EGR, 11:1 compression, higher rev limit (I believe) and the added bonus of VVL (Nissan VTEC YAY!) for good fuel economy. i would suggest that to anyone who wants a good N/A setup or a bluebird or GTI-R motor for HP sluts (personally i think anything over 300hp on a B13 throws off the balance of the car and puts it into the realm of straight line racing only) still, a GTI-R SR with a GT28RS would be effing sweet.

I used to own an NX2000, those cars are amazing and no one knows anything about them!

lol, yeah, the one i had was smashed, rusty and cost me $400, the front end was so screwed that the power steering pulley was pushed into the frame rail and made itself a hole. but it still killed this flashy del sol on the highway the one and only time i ever drove it.

alright, so its been a looooong ass time, but finally something happened. YES! MY PISTONS ARE IN!!! i nearly pooped my pants with excitement… until i found out i got pwned by customs. they raped my wallet for $200…

anyway, they’re here, i also got… other stuff. i will take pictures of it all as the build up progresses. i am starting another thread on the suspension and brakes soon too.

I honestly never saw this thread again, after the first post. Bumping this for others to see, so Terry doesn’t bitch and moan in his delirious state… :wink:

:R

what can i say? it’s my baby.

and at least i have a build-up :stuck_out_tongue: where’s your build-up? I only see one Lebaron Freddy

Oh… I’ll make a parody ‘build-up’ next time I decide to get wasted…

Keep us updated with this thread though; even though I have no clue about most of this junk you talk about, it’s enjoyable to read–your efforts aren’t TOTALLY wasted…

I’ll talk to you next time bout these ancient sentras…

alright, so i was at Ajax Engines today, and i swear to god, i meant to take pictures! i was really busy though, so it didnt happen. i am there tomorrow so i will guarantee pictures for tomorrow.

I ordered Brian Crower valve springs and retainers and they showed up today, they’re pretty sweet. I will take some pics of them too… I have decided not to swap my motor and other stuff into my black 4 door sentra… instead i will be buying a 2 door B13 SE-R from the states… hopefully this summer. when i showed up at ajax engines today, there was a rusted out black NX1600 parked out front. it belongs to the guy in the next unit. i think im going to buy it, its 5 speed and it has the cool digital dash. so i think i am going to swap that into my sentra sedan(i hate automatic) and then when i get an SE-R from the states, i will swap my built motor into that.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm NX1600.
So Terry. Going to the SR meet tonight?

yeah man, 9-O-clock, should i call on you? when are we gunna make that cable?

Good to see you at the meet Terry! Did I knock any sence into you?LOL. Just buy a VE and be done with her,hahahahaha. j/k

Cant wait to see the finished product man!

I think you did knock some sense into him. Now he’s comtemplating the cost of a VE head after his bottom end buildup.
I don’t get it. I’ve been telling him all this time. Guess he just needed the words of experience… I’ve also been telling him Turbo too.

Thats true bro. Or he needs to some for a rip in my nx sometime. I know that will take him to the darkside…:C

F*ck turbo, i like doing things the very expensive way and getting little reward, lol!

Ryan, you gotta take me for a ride in your NX, I am going with SS brake lines, AGX’s w/ road magnet springs, and 2.25 exhaust, so your setup will be somewhat similar to mine, i wanna see what its like since i have not, nor will I be installing any parts on my sentra for a very long time…

Alright, here are the pics as promised.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2560000-2560999/2560117_85_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2560000-2560999/2560117_86_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2560000-2560999/2560117_87_full.jpg

these are some pretty bad pics, but here’s the Brian Crower valve springs and retainers i just recieved.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2560000-2560999/2560117_78_full.jpg

The new CP Pistons

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2560000-2560999/2560117_79_full.jpg

They come in a nice protective foam box

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2560000-2560999/2560117_80_full.jpghttp://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2560000-2560999/2560117_82_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2560000-2560999/2560117_81_full.jpghttp://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2560000-2560999/2560117_83_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2560000-2560999/2560117_84_full.jpg

They’re forged 11:1 flat tops with extra oil holes in the oil ring groove, shorter skirts, and what i believe is a gas relief groove between the 2 compression rings. here’s the stock, cast aluminum 9.5:1 pistons for comparison.

No problem man! Hit me up anytime…I would love to “convert” fellow SR20 nuts to the “VE” side:D So far 2 of my friends have been throw into the darkside:C

You can be the third;)

PM me when you wanna meet up.

so i was told on sr20forum that my pistons are 10:1 and not 11:1. if this is true, im going to be really pissed. i tried to change my order 1 day after ordering, they wouldnt let me. i waited 2 f*cking months for the pistons, paid a shit load and then even more for customs and now they’re the wrong ones?!?!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

the more i look at them, the more im starting to think they are 10:1

I’m going to f*cking explode…

Hey Man…were are you with this buid now?

have the crank and cam journals true’d, centered and aligned.
this’ll be worth at least 5hp and a couple hundred rpm for that redline.
but better than that it’ll smoothe out that powerband and get rid of that evil spiking on a dyno printout…

Make a .010 clearance windage tray for the crank…
This’ll reduce the rotating mass of the crank and it won’t have excess oil throwing the balace off.

Do you have the equipment to knife the crank counterweights and re-ballance?

I’d go 3 angle on the valves and see if you can get the oe cam reground a little more agressive. But I’d do it now while the head is off anyway.
(is there room for bigger valves??)

PORT AND POLISH!!! YAAAAA

HEAVY DUTY crank bearings brutha!!YAAAA
dat’ll get this biatch safe down low.

when done please embarass the crap outa those turbo boys.

BUMP!!! NA NA NA…Naturally Awesome!!

right now I’m waiting to pick-up a bell housing and torque plate so that i can machine the cylinder bores. with the head and transmission bolted on, the number 4 cylinder will distort by as much as 1.2 thou.

I’m having the block align honed which is basically everything you said. I have to since im installing main studs. as for the cam journals, there is no cam bearings, so i cant touch them.

I am having the crank knife edged.

I am doing a 3 angle valve job. haven’t decided on cams yet… i have never heard of anyone regrinding SR cams though. bigger valves? i dont know of any, there are sodium filled exhaust valves in the JDM SR heads although, I doubt it will be necessary.

I’m getting a port an polish.

I’m getting bearings for one of the turbo SR’s that are wider and provide better oiling. I’m also teardropping the oil holes in the crank for better oiling.

At this point I am contemplating how serious this thing is actually going to be. I decided a while ago that the car that this motor goes into will be a summer driver only, so i might take it a step further and make it a full race car with roll cage.

lol, Kazz, ur all about the muscle cars eh? i remember you saying something about old mopar stuff, but i can tell from your suggestions that you’re into iron block V8’s.

Lol… who wouldn’t like a V8… God I lust for a C5/C6 Z06… Cheapo-powa, for mula at the pumps… fair tradeoff I’d say…:smiley:

Haven’t talked to ya in a while, did you get the whole issue with the pistons resolved?