rebuilding the s13 sr20det

okay im getting a sr20det and im going to rebuild the top end, new gaskets, metal head gasket, cams, cam gears, valves , valve springs, port and polish on the head. my mechanic friend is helping me, i was just wondering if anyone in our club has done this and how hard is it, as well is there anything to watch out for, example common problems. either way i want the engine 100% when i put it in, i plan on running high boost. gonna get meself a disco potato hehe. :twisted:

We have done this sort of work (less the port and polish) on sr20det’s in the past. we are working on one full build right now with a ported head. There seems to be no need to really do this unless you desire 500+hp. there are a few shops in the usa and oz that run over 550hp with unported heads. Also in my experience porting and flowing twin cam heads it is just as easy to kill the flow into the valve as it is to make Hp.

just so that you know the gt28rs (disco potato) is capible of around 320-340hp. we sell these for $1395 cdn.
We have the gt25r in stock which is good for around 400hp in stock and this is $1385 and will also bolt up with most stock parts.

The other thing that we advocate very strongly is a set of rocker arm stopers. we just got a shippment of greddy ones. they are $98 cdn.

We have cometic metal head gaskets, sce copper gaskets, arp head studs, custom top feed fuel rails, msd style injectors w/ clips, walbro pumps, competition valve springs and retainers, all the gaskets and much more in stock. We can order cams, gears, and valves . let me know if you’re interested and we can get you prices on any of these parts and alot more.
Also it it critical to make sure you profile the cams for the turbo, compression and valve size that you’ll be using, so that you can extract the most power out of your combination. We would be happy to help you order your parts to achieve this.

Hope that helps.

Later, Neil.

I can verify that some of these parts are in stock and I am glad to see them. I didn’t notice those particular turbos, but it’s good to hear they are there. It helps me make a decision. Neil, have you considered making braided stainless lines for making installation of these turbos simpler?

I’ve done the cams, and the only problem is, that my timing chain tensioner guide literally exploded when trying to unbolt the cam gears. Oh well. So try to do it as careful as possible. The head looks like it is pretty easy to work around, so I don’t htink that you’ll have TOO much trouble. Talk to Neil if you have any questions, he’ll give ya a hand.

man you guys are great, i can’t wait to come to edmonton to see speedworks, now all i need is an engine, s13 sr20det, i really want a blacktop, but might settle for a red top. can speedworks help me out in that department or am i on my own, i’ve looked in many places, in calgary , quebec, and many other places, but if you guys have a good supplier than it would be a great help. i will make a list of what i’ll need to begin with okay and i’ll email speedworks.

jared, the killer thing about both the disco potato is that is is a complete direct bolt on. we do not have this one in stock but can have it in around 5 days. The gt25r that we have bolts to the stock manifold and O2 ext housing but needs compressor inlet pipe adapter and modification to stock turbo hotpipe, but the lines bolt up. This is the turbo we have in stock. next time you’re by i’ll show it to you.