SR20 DET REBUILD?

Ok guys, so as my current project is coming close to completion, I have been looking into parts, turbos, suspension etc for my '89 240SX Coupe. Now I already got an SR20DET Motor (Black Top), I sold the Turbo and manifold, which I would have upgraded anyways. The motor needed a rebuild as the previous owner said, and no matter what motor I bought I would have rebuilt it. But, since I am new to this vehicle, I have no idea where to start. I asked my local Nissan Dealer for pricing on a rebuild kit/valvetrain etc, and they said since the motor was not offered here, they cannot get parts for it? I dont know, but anyways, I was thinking to rebuild it to OEM Spec, and have it running tip top and slap a larger turbo, manifold, and exhaust on there to pull some good numbers. Again, I dont know what kind of numbers I am shooting for, due to now knowing much about these cars/motors. My GSR EK build (yes a Honda!), with a Precision Turbo setup is being planned and built around the 220whp-230whp mark, and with the Nissan I want to surpass that. So, should I get an oem rebuild?
How much can a fresh setup handle? (Bottom end rebuilt too)
With an aftermarket rebuild how much can I push it?
Turbo suggestions?
Who can rebuild this motor for me?
Manifold/Exhaust suggestions?

I have been on Enjuku for a while now, the exhausts, manifolds and turbos seem to be legit, and it doesnt seem like rocket science, but I am more worried about the how and where the motor will be rebuilt, and a projected cost?

Not looking for solid numbers, just an idea. My Honda got way out of hand build wise, and this will probably be no different LOL.

Any help is appreciated guys.

Thanks!

bigger injectors
a tune
gt2871r turbo
front mount
stock rebuild
larger MAF
tomei poncams

and you can be in the 350 to 400hp range

correct me if i’m wrong anybody.

yep^^ pretty much. don’t forget your towel! lol jk, you’ll want to pick out a fuel/air mangement system too. I’d check out an Apex’i FC or something along those lines.

Go with a map setup

Where can i get a stock rebuild?

I’ve heard nothing but good things about these guys:
http://www.cylinderheadtech.com/contact.htm
except for the fact that they’re usually really busy.

you will need to tear down the motor and check if it can rebuilt with only a set of rings, if the liners are worn you will need new pistons.

these motors are very strong and can handle 3-400hp stock. capable of 5-600whp built. how much do you want to make? then you can decide on your turbo size. realistically you only need ~300whp so gt2860 or GTX28 would be ideal. the tomei kits are a good value aswell

purestocks list is very good, with intake and exhaust manifolds you could lay down over 400whp.

check frsport.com and courtesyparts.com for your rebuild stuff. theres also sr20 enigne part numbers on here and zilvia.

canadian cylinder head, mississauga engines, innov8 automotive. these are all engine rebuilders i know off hand around the GTA

nice thanks guys, i have been trying to find out the stock bore on the sr20det, but got a couple different answers lol…I didnt “build” my bottom end of my gsr, so with this scenario, if I went with a built bottom end, should i get the bottom end bored and honed first, and then look at pistons/rods or?

SR20’s are not like other manufacturer engines.

I had this same discussion with a dsm guy the other day.

Unlike other motors, the bottom end doesn’t need to be built. Sr’s are well engineered, can take 350-400 whp all day, with headgasket studs and a good tune.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

ARP headstuds
Apexi Headgasket
Tune computer (Apexi Fc, map or maf)
GT2871R
Injectors

If you want you can add Cams (BC, Tomei, HKS)

That is a 300-400whp capable setup… reliable too.

I think I still want the bottom end to get cleaned up, and possibly bearings and rings done, the motor is in pieces, might as well freshen it up.

1. set a power goal, if u want more then 400 build bottom
  2. dont take peoples words do your own research
  3. what do you want the car to do?? street/drag/road race/drift
  4. how much you want to dump into this
  5. more research
  6. rebulding to stock spec is stupid if your motor is fucked rebuild it with aftermarket parts or go buy another one in good running order and swap out the head parts…
    and having two fast cars isnt ideal ether so sell the honda or dont dump money into the 24
  1. I understand to set a power goal, but I know I am not going to “build” it, but like I said to freshen it up. Power wise I would like to be in the 300+ area, as I have heard this is attainable with this motor.
  2. I am reading and searching like no ones business!
  3. This may sound dumb, but I am doing it for the fun of it, just because I want to, and I can, but it will see the street maybe once a week in summer, no time for the track
  4. With budget, I am not in a rush, so if my budget surpasses what I am currently budgeting then it does, same thing happened with my Civic, a quick run down of motor work, suspension, wheels, etc had me at 7K without paint, or any wiring/tuning, so if it is around there I am guessing it will cap at 10K
  5. Got ya
  6. I see what you are saying, but a clean, fresh SR20 is better than a 15 year old one isnt it? (Not being sarcastic, just saying)
    6a) I have a company car to drive daily, so having two fast cars is not the issue, when and if I need to, I can dump either.

Go through the gt2871r thread on zilvia.
For the cost to do all new seals and rings etc. you might as well spend a bit more ad be capable of making a lot more power.
That being said, if the motor you’ve got has good compression, no smoke etc, and you wanna make 300hp. I wouldn’t bother pulling it apart.

^^^its already apart…

^^Then you’ve already made your decision.

lol
if all you want is 300 get the smallest turbo that can make that power at 80% of the turbos capability.
but honestly with those power goals i would just go s14-s15-gtir turbo 550’s and standalone and see where that takes you…
but at the end of the day u will always want more power so its better to build for 400 which is still not over the top.
but my thoughts on the topic is 300 -350 ismore then enough power for a “street only” car

It was apart because the previous owner told me the head had some issues, and when we started it the top end was making some ticking noises, so I knew beforehand I would rebuild it. I just didnt know to what extent.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

I understand what everyone is saying, but the head needs a rebuild regardless, with injectors, exhaust, turbo and all that I appreciate the help, was really looking for some advice on the rebuild. I think best thing is to check out Mississauga Engines when I am ready for the rebuild!

And yeah, 300 is plenty, but 400 wouldnt be so bad LOL>

caesar is a good dude but i would say canadian cylinder head or gord bush
but now a days the kid at gord bush does all the work so u pay top rate for his apprentice
but on the flip side the kid knows his shit…

Buy my built SR and save yourself a million dollars.

lol, oh yeah?

I think you are good friends with a buddy of mine. He showed me a pic of your S14 a while back.