I need SR20 Head work info..

alright so here is what my plan is looking like for engine

i have SR20 redtop.

1 if not 2…lifters have a tick to them once and a while. the cars going away for winter now and i would like to work on the head in the next few months.

so my plan is to get…

-Apexi metal head gasket

-rocker arm stoppers (best ones to buy?)

-replace whatever lifters are worn out with stock new lifters

-get some “stage 1 cams” because mine have wear mark on th lobe where i think the lifter(s) are failing.
and by stage 1 i mean cams that i dont have to mess with tuning and such…

and i was told to get new head studs when i take it off because of the metal stretching.(what brand to get)?

other then these parts what should i need to get this job done successfully ?

ive never done and internal engine work before so any advice on witch parts to buy for example the brand of cams i hear HKS is good for what im looking for ive also seen some BC cams too for SR but requre some tuneing afterwards…?

anyway and write ups of people doing this or advice would be great

also anyone who sells the parts i am looking for…please let me know or where to get them (HKS cams?? apexi head gasket?? headstuds??) would be awesome

Thanks!

My suggestion to you is. if your going to rebuild your head rebuild it well. Meaning A/M cams, lifters everything. As for head studs ARP is the only way to go

Greddy makes rocker arm stoppers for our motors. I have them installed and they work like a charm.

Get HKS 264 Cams Step I Cams…every car I tune with those always seems to amaze me.

Send your head to me. Im a friend of Bill Sanderson. I can make 100hp just from porting and flowing. I have done lots of SR heads with great results. Bill can let you know everything you may have questions with.

i say greddy rocker arm stoppers or circuit sports… both the same style i believe.

i have BC stage 2 cams… to my door with expedited shipping it came out to $430. Bought it directly from BC as well.

Im pretty sure the BC cams have a much more aggressive profile then the HKS and are what i would consider borderline for the stock valve train. I was basically deciding between S4 and BC stage 2… and choose BC because of the price difference. I did get the vehicle tuned. However from what i read the BC’s were not that great unless cam timing was changed. Im not to sure thoe if this was done on my car, maybe mark or brendan can chime in on that.

but if you want to avoid the tunning… ummmmm
i believe greddy has a kit for just this purpose

100hp WITHOUT any other mods like a boost increase or tuning or timing? are you saying these heads flow that bad or are choked in stock form that there is a 100hp just by opening them up?

peace

Bullshit

i didn’t really want to use that word but it fits lol.

peace

I have before dyno results and porting and flowing pictures then a follow up dyno result. When your family has a race team, and the proper equipment in house and has been doing this for 30 years, it is possible my friend. 100hp crank with full race head ported by cnc is not a far task to reach. My RB head is being done as we speak. Over 100 crank will be made. I dont build engines in my backyard like some. This is our job.

Would love to see the proof and photos if you got em. That is quite a claim you are making.

Peace

yea 100hp is alot from head work on a sr.

Anyways lucas, call us up and we can get prices for you. I would go with the cams dan suggested. as for rocker arm stoppers I have P2M and they are rocker arm stoppers. ARP headstuds also.

im not sure what your current setup is exactly but safc or some kind of tuning would help you alot.

I am very interested to see this aswell, I currently have an s14 sr head being ported as we speak and the typical gains from the engine builders experiance are 10 to 15 percent better flow increase, and all around more efficiancy… I can not see this generating 100 more crank hp… The amount of boost would have to increase at least 2 or 3 psi to generate that kind of power from a stock motor with headwork and now other modifications… I have never seen such gains but if this is possible, post up some pictures and dyno results of your work, I’m sure many guys on here would be interested!