sr20 Headgasket replacement + valve seals/head work

I was wondering if anyone has a link to a good thread that covers head gasket replacement and other head maintanance. I have my car away for the winter and I want to rebuild the head a bit. I’m not looking to make anymore power just put new parts in and make it more reliable. I’m at 300 now and I’m happy with that for atleast another year or so. I want to do arp head studs a cosemic gasket and I was thinking replacing the valve seals. I believe there leaking because if I leave the car sitting for a couple weeks it burns a bit of oil on start up. I’ve read through the fsm and it’s good but its always nice to look at picture and read some first hand experiences. I haven’t been able to google any sold threads though so if anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated. cheers.

There’s a thread about how to build a 9000rpm sr head. In there it goes through replacing valve seals. It’s got lots of pictures and good descriptions so with that thread and the fsm you should be good to go. Just curious on what your set-up is. Was looking for about 300 at the wheels over winter.

Here’s the thread

Ah cool that is help. even shows use of two different tools.

My set up is a bit over kill for 300 but I dont like to do things twice and I plan to eventually put down more.

All stock internals standard mods +
tomie turbo haltech map 740cc hks injectors.

It made 270 to the wheels at 10lb’s. I’ve since increased that 12.

The engine is reliable like that though. I drove the car to florida and back with no issues. its my DD and I’ve put over 35,000km on that set up.

I just a quote on that tool for a 142.00 bucks from snap on. It does look like the better option. Anyone know of a speciality store that may rent this tool? I don’t plan to replace enough seals to offset the cost.

What tool is it? The one to remove the valve springs? Or the one to put in valve seals? Valve seals you can just use a socket. Springs you can probably rent a tool for it. Not to sure which place has them

The spring removal tool. I think it’s more important for installation when you put the keepers back on. My local snap-on dealer has one in stock but I don’t really want to spend 150 on it. Not sure where I would rent a tool like that from.

i made my own tool … worked grreat!

care to explain? Did you fab brackets and make a lever to pivot off of or some sort of hammer option? The hammer one is 42.00 bucks from snap on. I’m just going to be reinstalling my stock springs so if I can’t find one to rent I’ll try that option

Hammer one works but it’s a pain in the ass to get the keepers set properly. But with time, patience and beer everything works

Yeah thats the plan, I’ll have time… and lots of beer.

Anyone have any experience with supertech? I can’t seem to find any reviews.

I see there valve seals and drive train parts are pretty cheap relative to others/oem.

I don’t like to cheap out on parts but I search on Zilvia and found a couple guys with some big motor builds using these parts. Anyone have any first hand experience with them? The valves are inexpensive enough I would consider changing them all out but I don’t want to waste my time with something that will fail.

If you’re replacing valves you’ll need to re-cut the valve seats. Usually best to have a machine shop do that for you so they can properly setup where the valve face sits on the seat.

As for spring tool, Canadian tire and Parts source rent one. You can also buy some cheaper versions of the snap-on one at princess auto.

Probably won’t replace the valves but I was thinking of cleaning and polishing them. Do I still need to have the seats machined?

oouuu wanna help me do my headgasket to?

I may post a thread with some pic’s which may or may not help you.

pictures speak better thn words for me lol…

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

kind of big lol, but u get the idea…same as the snap on one

Looks like it would do the trick. What did you make the spring compressor part out of?

I got my head off on the weekend. Actually was pretty easy job, took a little over 3 hours. The thing that took me the longest was pulling out the CAS. In the fsm it just says remove. I didn’t want to damage anything so I was trying to just pull it out by hand but I ended up having to lightly pry it out with a screw driver.

Found a couple of my head gasket coolant pots clogged on the exhaust side of cylinder 1. I also found some nasty carbon build up on cylinder 1. Would that be conntected in anyway to the blocked coolant ports? Cylinder running hotter?

I’ll post some pictures of it tonight. Whats the best way to clean the cylinders? Also is it save to turn the crank to get at the tops of cyl 2 & 3? Right now I just have the timing chain sitting loose is there anyway for it to fall off or skip a tooth on the crank or is it containted by a guide?

success

That shit was blocking the ports in the head gasket. Not sure if its stop leak from a previous owner or from age…? I have never had an over heating problem though.