SR20DET swap problem<<RESOLVED!!>>

I have put the motor in and wired everything up… it starts but runs like shit (sputtering/and rich as hell) Code 21 apears on the ECU…

Has anyone experienced this? If so what did u do to fix it??

• it’s not the ignitor chip… i replaced it and reset the computer.

Well Code 21 = Ignition System…

So if its not the Ignitor then I’m clueless (unless you got a faulty Coil Pack) and that cylinder isnt getting a proper spark ? “no idea”

Are you “positive” the timing is correct ?

SRs do tend to run a bit on the “rich side” but if your O2 sensor isnt any good that it would add to it

would timing or o2 trigger code 21?

do u think bad motor grounds would cause this problem 2??

did you disconnect the throttle position sensor when the engine was hot and reconnect it to check the BASE IDLE vs the TARGET IDLE the computer controls…

I had the error code list, somewhere but I’, not going to hunt it down.

which spark plugs and gap…?

I will double check that tommorrow…

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

ya, take your car to a mechanic lol

does it rev up fine? past 2500rpm and how rich does it run like really rich and dirty black? mine did when i swaped it but it turned out the guy who had it before me had messed up the MAF

i’ve tried all the suggested ideas… I found that cyl 2 doesn’t have spark but tested the coil and it works on the other cylinders.

… I checked the wiring and looks good…

Im using a 62 ecu on a red top. Doesn’t anyone have an suggestions??

Well if #2 isnt firing (no spark) but the coil pack works in another cylinder then the coil pack is fine…

I’m guessing your “Coil Pack Harness” has a wiring problem then if the #2 cylinder isnt getting spark

#62 ECU is the correct one for the Red Top so its not an ECU problem but as I said before (Code 21 is Ignition System) so your problem is souly “Igniton/Spark” and I’m leaning towards the problem laying in the “Coil Pack Harness” either a wire is broken or corroded ?

Liek Jedi said, switch the one coilpack that dosen’t work with another one and thereby determine if its the coilpack or the wires…

Dosen’t each of those trace backt ot he ECU? were you very careful with the harness where it goes through the firewall not to tug on it and scrape it against the metal…

i have done all that… does anyone have the coil pack wire stimatics for the red top… s14 FSM is different

I have done all that??

You could have a bad CAS…

S13GG had a bad CAS and his car sputtered and ran rich as shit… (didnt drive very well at all)

yeah, it happened to me, mine was a faulty coil pack, so yours could be the harness

how would u check for a bad CAS??

Would a bad CAS stop only one cylinder from firing?

I would think that bad CAS would stop spark to all cyl’s

It’s not a faulty coil pack because they all work… Did the test for that…
I follow all the wiring on the harness for coil pack none are cut or spliced
The pins on the computer are fine… (none are bent or rusted)

does anyone know what sends the signal to fire the coils? if its the ecu do u know what pins are for the coils???

u know what i have tryed almost everything

I replace my first ignitor chip with another one. But im not sure if the second one was faulty because it was used also.

I have been stumped on thls problem for a couple of days now. I want to test a known working ignitor on my motor to see is that is the problem. (code 21) is 90% ignitor

Im located in Toronto St. CLair Dufferin Area.

is their anyone out there than can help me out??

Check the pins on your ECU connector. The signal wire for #2 from the ECU to the ignitor is probably your issue.

Resolved!!! Wire from coil2 on ecu to the igintor was faulty…

Thanks u everyone who helped

Dusten to save the day again