Srsly WTF MS Server?

Before the Linux vs MS Servers argument starts, this is an application box that runs a MS application server that my friend and I manage.

The most recent “quirk” in MS Server 2003 that seemed to bother me is that I manage a server in a office about 40 minutes from my apartment remotely. Aparently, Microsoft thinks it a fun idea that when the EULA is violated, the server SHUTS DOWN after an hour. Twice this weekend I have had to drive and reboot the damn thing to work on it.

Apparently the server is thinking that it should join the domain when it doesn’t need to or supposed to and its killing it since its not configured as a member. Found a way to kill the audit process until we figure it out completely but what a pain.

Thats cute

why dont you set the BIOS on the box to turn itself back on? If the software is turning the box off, and it is a server box, the bios has gotta have a power on always state setting…

Hell, even my desktop at home has the power setting of always on in the BIOS.

As for the EULA, why is it violating it? Illegal copy of windows? ERRR… “not activated” copy?

Not sure if you’re asking for advice or just venting but try stripping the activation and reactivating the OS. Google “change Windows product key” for how to do it, I forget which reg keys have to be edited.

Source: SBCore
Category: None
Event ID: 1001
The server was shut down because it did not comply with the EULA. For more
information, contact Microsoft.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

That was the event log error. It wasn’t a crack or activation issue. Its a legal copy of Small Business Server. The issue was the server and its domain controller configuration. The “IT” guy on site who installed the base Windows 2003 Small Business Server forgot to complete the process and configure it that there is no domain controllers on the network so it was causing the shutdown.

So you’re mad at Microsoft because your “IT” guy sucks?

And like I said, almost all computers I know have a “no shutdown” option in the BIOS power settings that will turn the box on if it is plugged in. Regardless if it shuts itself off, it’ll turn right back on.

Get that set so you don’t have to drive 40 minutes…

Oh and, umm… this a Small Business Server!

You have no choice but to have it as a domain controller on the domain. Hence the shut downs.
Your IT guy sucks, and you need to get that server configured correctly.
EDIT>>> Noticed you actually know what the problem is. Get your IT guy to configure the servers properly…

GM sucks too. I keep putting diesel in my GTO and it keeps dying. Stupid GM. My next car will be powered by Linux.

:lol:

i was gonna make a joke about how you should use linux but i wasn’t sure anyone would catch onto my sarcasm.

I blame Apple

clearly

We all know it is Google that we should blame here.

Google IT people maybe. AKA, the guys who think they’re IT because they can look up how to install MS Server 2003 on Google.

Clearly the IT guy in this scenario needs to learn how to use Google more. I think he just put in the CD and pushed the buttons until it ended with a mouse cursor and a desktop…

Its the onsite guy who fixes laptops and thinks he knows servers. He breaks stuff and calls us to come out and fix them.

I love billable house tho. Esp when I wake up at 3am cuz he fucked something up.

This is the same guy who tried to install Vista on all their computers when all their interoffice software they rely on did not run on Vista.

I do need to check out the no-shutdown in the bios. I have never heard of it and would be helpful on a lot of equipment I monitor and manage.

Its called “always on” in most BIOS power settings. Really helpful if the power goes out from a storm or a server tries to shut down. If it is plugged in, it’ll turn on. :slight_smile:

And, tell the IT guy he needs to set it up as a domain controller and get that fixed, or you wont support it. I cant imagine the server is functioning correctly. I’ll also laugh when you tell me “He is using it only for a file server”

SO let me guess, the IT guy bought SBS 2003 because it was $200 cheaper than 2003 Standard, and he didnt buy any CALs for it, but put in 10000 into the licensing?

What’s that number again? 1-800-MICROSOFT?

I’m sitting at home typing this managing 15 servers in Batavia. If for any reason one of them shuts down, HP builds in this wonderful little thing in the hardware called iLO (Integrated Lights Out). It’s an IP that I can go to and hit a “virtual power button” and turn it on just as if I was sitting in front of it. I also have the servers hooked into an IP console so that I can go to an IP address and get at the servers just as I would standing at the console. That’s handy if the server stops responding to the network or if I’m building a server and don’t have the NIC drivers on there yet.