Start Up Idle & Stalling Issue

I have a stock 2001 Nissan Sentra SE with a K & N Air Filter (cleaned less then 1000 km’s ago). Spark Plugs were changed about a year ago (I believe the wiring was left alone though), as well as a general tune up. Maintenance has been kept up to date on the car as well. The car was recently in a bodyshop being repainted as well.

About 2 months ago, possibly slightly longer, I had gone on about an hour and a half drive, all highway and when getting off the highway, 2 blocks from my destination, my car stalled. No warning light, no check engine, nothing, it just died. I had my music blasting so I did not know the car had stalled/died until I went to turn a corner and found that the power steering was not working, etc. After making the corner I tried to start the car and the RPM went up to about 1500 and then dropped down fast to 0, no hesitation at all, etc and the car of course died. I tried to start the car a few more times and again the same thing. I discovered that as long as I kept my foot on the throttle the car would stay alive and I managed to get it into my parent’s driveway. After a few more attempts with the same result I gave up and let the car sit there for about 10 minutes or so and gave my mechanic a call. While on the phone with him I tried to start the car again and everything was fine. Later on that evening I took the car for another hour to hour and a half drive (mixed highway and city), and the car was fine.

About 3 to 4 weeks ago my car had been displaying similar behavior to an extent but on different levels. For about 3 – 4 days it would start fine but in between shifts it would drop fast and fall below 500 RPM and feel like it was going to stall but then rise again to just under 1000 RPM and by then I was in gear and on the throttle so it was not an issue. I did try this at various times/places by just driving the car down an empty street and then taking it out of gear to see what would happen and again it would drop below 500 and then shoot back up again and seem fine. After those 3 – 4 days everything seemed to go back to normal.

In the last week and a half the car has been doing even odder things. When running errands in and around my neighbourhood I will often have to make short drives, sometimes where I’m just in the store for 15 – 30 minutes. I will come out and start my car and the idle will jump up to about the 1500 RPM mark and then go all the way down to halfway between 0 and 250 RPM (if I had to make a guess I would say about 100 or slightly lower). The car will literally slow down and you can feel it in the engine where it wants to die, the engine get’s very quiet and then it’s like something just picks up and the RPM’s shoot up and then rest at about 900 to 1000 and then go back to it’s usual 750 or so resting RPM.

As I mentioned, this happens when running errands or just when driving to or from work as well. I live about 4 km’s away which takes around 7 – 10 minutes (I know, I should really bike or something but I like to get as much rest and sleep as possible so I take my time). If I get to work and shut off the car and then try to start it again the car will do the same thing. When driving home from work I get the same results.

I’ve had my mechanic scan the car (he is licensed but when doing things for me he is a backyard mechanic located just over 50 km’s away), and there were no codes stored in the memory and at the time he checked it I wasn’t able to reproduce the problem. We did notice that the car was running more lean then rich since we had the computer connected to it and had the graph readout, often times it was staying lean for a long time and he mentioned that the oxygen sensor could be a possibility but did not want to go ahead with replacing it since there could be other factors to the problem. I asked another garage near where I work about it and they were saying it could be a number of different things as well and that they would have to see it while it was happening to figure it out.

Has anyone out there had a similar problem? Any ideas what could be going on or pointers for things to check out?

Another concern I have with all of this is the fact that I have to go and have the emission test done within the next 2 weeks so that I can renew my stick for the car (also within the next 2 weeks or so). Any idea if this is something that could cause problems with the emission test?

I actually had a similar problem where the car was stalling out. Never when I am driving tho. It only happened when I was going to start up. But it would do the same thing. It seems mine only happens on really hot days. I have never had it happen when it wasnt extremely hot lol

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have a feeling mine could be the same thing (on a hot day), but am not 100% sure.

It has been suggested that there could be a vacuum leak or it could be a dirty MAF due to the K&N Filter.

Well when it happens is it really hot and humid? Cuz mine onyl happens on really hot days. When its cooler it doesnt happen. I told my buddy teh situation and he is a licenesed mechanic and the first thing he said was, was it really hot out? I said yes he said the heat could be thinning the oil. Nothing big. But my engine light is still on so i got to get it checked.

Well, that’s the thing, it is hot, sometimes humid but not always. My engine light has NEVER come on though and as mentioned, we’ve scanned the computer to see if there were any temp messages in there and nothing.

It will happen even when driving those 4km’s to my work, when I get to work in the morning I can shut the car off and go to start it and same thing.

Really eh. hmm see mine never happens when im actually driving. It happened in my driveway, and then twice in a parking lot. See I think my enigne light is on due to low oil pressure. I had really really low oil and then it came on. I drive a 240 and it happens i dunno tho. I want to get mine checked but i dont really want to pay money. Im getting a new car. If u kno someone who could check my computer for free we might be able to find the problem for both of us if thats what it is.

It only ever happend once while driving for me.

The other times are when stopping and starting (as in driving somewhere, shutting off the car and then trying to start it). I have been able to reproduce the problem in my driveway, in parking lots, after short drives, long drives, etc. It’s only lately that I’ve been able to produce the problem on a more regular basis though.

yeppp i hear ya dude

Just wanted to post an update, I still haven’t had a chance to go and check out the problem properly, I got some good suggestions from another forum I belong to and have just been so busy that I haven’t had my mechanic look at the issues let alone been able to look at them myself.

If I find out anything in the meantime or get the problem fixed I will let you all know. Any other suggestions are more then welcome though.

Hello,

I got the same problem as you I think.Only, mine happens when it’s really hot and humid. I live in Montreal, so temp is a bit different than in TO because it can get really really humid in here. Anyways, my car Nissan SE 2001, stalled one day when it was really really hot and humid. I was at a red light, i had my AC to the max and also my radio was at the max. So when i was about to turn left to pass the red light, the car just died on me. Good thing had a freind with me, and he pushed the car in a parking lot. Waited about 45min for a tow truck, but before hit arrived, started the car, and it started…Just to let you know, no warnig either, just stalled there.

Went to see a mechanic the next day, he told me that maybe alternator was the prob as it was overcharging. Normal reading should be around 12.4V on that thing, mine was at 15v… So had that thing changed. Oh yeah, i also had nissan rewired the honk at some point and that was one of the source of the overcharging my mechanic told me…

One day i saw one of my neighbor, with a sentra 2002 gxe. It was so clean inside though he still took out his vaccuum and started to clean his car. So i said to myself, maybe that guy really takes car of his car well. So went to ask him if he ever had any serious problems… So he told me exactly same symptoms as i had. Problem with horn, overcharged alternator, and finally car stalls when it is really hot… BUT the thing is he had the fix for it. It is an electronic problem. It’s basically a cut wire. Now you might spend lots of time to look for that wire but i can tell you approx where it is.

If you need more help or more detail, i can take the pic for you.

I still haven’t gone to my mechanic but I would love to see the picture of where the wire is, etc since I’d like to have all my options there when I go to see him.

Thanks JohnLennon! is it possible for you to post a pic of the cut wire? seems like my mechanic is having a hard time isolating the problem as well…He’s had my car for days!.

Guys I’m from another Spec V style forum. And if your having the random stalls / miss-firing / lack of performance you should look into moving your knock sensor (in pre 04 models) or replacing your knock sensor… I dont really know the rules here so if you wanna know a site that has a lot of active sentra members send me a pm