Starter?

OK, so lately my car hasn’t wanted to start… I turn the key, nothing. Turn again, again again again again and again, and eventually it starts right up. I’m leaning towards the starter, but I’m thinking that it might have to do with the clutch, because sometimes if I just press harder on the clutch (it’s already to the floor, but I have to like press it into the carpet) it will start up too.

Any ideas?

Gas n a match

But all in all it could very well be the sensor for the clutch that allows the car to actually start with it fully pressed in

Yep my truck is like that, you almost gotta touch the rad with clutch before it starts. It’s kinda my rednecy security system…

any way to know for sure? I can’t afford to be out of a car (at least while it’s raining… ) if it doesn’t start at all one day…

is the floor mat pushed under the clutch pedal? if it is try moving it away.

nope… not that. Come on, give me a little credit here. :smiley:

I was thinking more along the lines of the key switch its self. What happens when you turn the key switch to the start position?

What kind of car is it?

What happens when your trying to start it and it doesn’t start if you hold the key switch in the start position and try press the clutch harder?

Everything happens normally when I turn the key, until I get to the point where it should start, it just won’t crank.

It’s a 1998 Chevy Cavalier.

I’ll pay closer attention tomorrow when I go to start it.

:rofl:

i believe a friend of mine had that same problem i’ll get in touch him and ask what the problem was

I’m thinking starter… if I hold the key in the start position and let the clutch in and out, it does NOT start. Just makes a clicking noise… do you guys agree?

Sounds logical to me. I know my buddy has an older one, maybe a 93-94 and in the past year he has went through about 3 starters. All with similar symptoms as yours.

clutch switch is where i would start. just because it’s easy to bypass if needed. find out which wires make a connection with each other and use another piece of wire to jump them together = clutch bypassed.