starter gone?

During the day today, Ive noticed the car starting get worse and worse. By that I mean engine turns more and more as well as turning slower and slower before it starts. So I goto drive my gf home, and it wouldnt start. First thing I try, is jump start… no dice. So I grab my buddy and we do a bump start, works like a champ. All this in the pouring rain of this hurricaine remnints that is apparently going to dump 110mm of rain tonight.

To our conclusion, we are guessing the starter is done. I did some research and Ive found someone having the same problem had a bad cluch interlock switch. What does that do?

Anyone with some sort of similar experience with this, I would greatly appreciate some advice…

110mm? Damn thats not good for my parts car. lol.

If your car isn’t starting get somebody to turn the key, while you hit the starter with a crowbar. A light tap should be all it needs. lol I had to do that to start my parts car today.

I hope its not soaked when i get in there tommorow.

OK… so the clutch interlock switch is so you have to depress the clucth pedal to start… down to the starter… boooo urns… maybe ill give it a hit and see if it works…

yeah this works all the time, you can do it yourself too, just give the starter a few firms taps and it should be ready to start.

… anyone know why this works?

This only works if the starter isn’t engaging at all (IE no sound other than the solenoid clicking, or horrible grindy whirring sounds)

All the starter is is a high torque electric motor. When you energize it, the bendix pops out, hooks its teeth into the fllywheel and turns your motor.

Sometimes the bendix and flywheel get out of alignment or get jammed. When you whack the starter it frees it up and usually will realign everything.

If your starter is spinning the motor, it is not the starter’s fault your motor isn’t starting. Since it was raining, I’d guess it’s time for plug wires and an inigntion tune up. Look for condensation on the inside of your distributor cap.

Clutch interlock will stop the starter from engaging. If it dies, you will turn the key and NOTHING will happen. No click no nothing.

uhm, I’ve never encountered a canadian S-chasis with clutch interlock,

They all have it. Even my S12 has it, it just doesn’t work anymore. I like it though, it’s nice being able to ride the starter if you need to.

Most of them don’t work any more. I can’t remember what they call it in the manual … I think it’s just the clutch switch

Basically if you try and start the car in gear without depressing the clutch, nothing should happen. If the switch is gone, the car will lurch forward on the starter.

Look on the clutch pedal, and you should find a plunger switch. Think about how many times you shift gears. That’s a lot of clicks for a simple switch.

^^ the switch on top of the clutch is the cruise cancel switch.
The switch on the bottom WOULD be the interlock switch, but canadian cars didn’t have them.

might be a stupid question but wutz a bump start?