Stealership. Pun intended.

NewsChannel 5 Investigates:
Dealership Doesn’t Like Deal, Takes Car Back

Car dealers are often the butt of jokes. But one local truck buyer is not laughing about the deal that he got – and lost. Consumer advocates say this case raises lots of questions about how a well-known auto dealer does business.

Earl Kieselhorst thought he owned a 2003 Chevy Silverado – a truck that he bought from Bill Heard Chevrolet in Antioch. Kieselhorst says he “paid cash for it. Made the deal. Sales manager signed off on it. Signed all the paperwork. And drove off.”
Hetraded in his car and gave the dealer a check for $8,100.

“I have the keys,” Kieselhorst tells NewsChannel 5 investigative reporter Jennifer Kraus.
But he doesn’t have his truck.
Bill Heard does.
“I can’t see any reason why this wouldn’t be my car,” he adds.

Just one day after he bought the truck,a salesman from Bill Heard called to say the dealership was having second thoughts about the deal. He told Kieselhorst that ifhewanted to keep his truck, he needed to fork over another $10,000 – something he refused to do. After all, he says, they had a signed deal. But the next morning, when Kieselhorst woke up, his truck was gone.

“And I was like I can’t believe it,” he recalls.
The dealership had come and taken it in the middle of the night.
“I’ve got a contract. This is a legal contract. I don’t know what to say. I don’t know what to say.”

Metro police investigated and wanted to file charges against Bill Heard for stealing the truck. Detective Ray Paris gota statement from Bill Heard, blaming a rookie salesman for what happened and calling it a mistake. (Read the statement given to police by Bill Heard.) “They inadvertently sold the vehicle at a lower cost than what they should have,” Paris says. Kathleen Calligan says the Better Business Bureau has received literallyhundreds and hundreds of similar complaints about the Bill Heard dealership – more complaints by far than any other auto dealer in all of Middle Tennessee.
“Not only is this an unbelievable volume of complaints, most of them are unresolved,” she adds. Calligan says that,in this day and age,dealers know exactly how much a vehicle is worth. And if a dealership truly does make a mistake, she says they’ll take the loss – rather than call the customer and demand he make up the difference.
“There is absolutely no reason for a sale not to be final when the customer walks out of the dealership,” Calligan adds.

Yet even after Bill Heard had taken back the truck, the salesman called Kieselhorst again. “He calls me back and offers to sell it to me for $11,000 more thanI paid for it,” Kieselhorstrecalls.
Kieselhorst said no way.

And even though he still believes he is the rightful owner of the truck, when we went looking for it at Bill Heard, we found a customer checking it out. It was for sale, the customer and a saleswoman told us.

“The whole thing has just gotten more and more ridiculous,” Kieselhorst says.
And now the self-proclaimed largest Chevrolet dealership in the world is accusing Kieselhorst of “trying to pull a fast one” on them.
“This is the way this company does business,” Calligan says. “They really thought they would be able to pull a fast one on their customer.”

After we tried to get their side for days, Bill Heard faxed us a statement just before air time,saying that Kieselhorst “should have known” that the deal he got was too good to be true.
The company says: “It is not reasonable or fair to expect for Bill Heard Chevrolet …to be bound by a sale where a clear and material mistake was made, and the customer was aware that it was a mistake.”

Kieselhort says he just thought Bill Heard was giving him the type of good deal they advertise. As for the police investigation, the DA says this is a civil case, not a criminal case.He says Kieselhorst is free to take the dealer to court – something he’s now seriously considering.

http://www.newschannel5.com/content/investigates/20762.asp?q=BILL+HEARD

How’s that for service?

For another 11K, they better service my fucking wang for a year straight

fucked up

OMG…

yeah…stealerships

i think he’ll be okay in the end

they, on the other hand… um, they’re name can’t be too good after that

Did I mention they still have his ~$8000 and haven’t given it back to him yet?

They wanted 19,100.00 For a USED 2003 Silverado!!!

Was the steering wheel made of solid gold?

Edit- And if this goes to court, it’ll be a quick win for the customer. he has a legally binding contract in his hands that was signed off on by a sales manager.

And after this article circulates and the local area there hears this, that dealership is DONE.

Mistakes happen. In my line of business there have been times when monetary agreements have been made that were slightly off in error, the company had to suck up the loss because it was a legally binding agreement that was put forth.

whoa! ^

that can’t be good for P.R.

well yeah, that’s what it says in the article :gotme:

how long ago was it? lawyer take time…

Article original has date of 7/17/06

egh

worst part is that i actually read the date :bloated:

rough day

(but not as rough as this dude’s month)

EDIT: good to see you back on here :tup:

This guy should get together with John Hennessey and start a business.

haha :word:

Man thats messed up. Not as messed up as the time i got mad at mcgrass and posted his nudes in NWS but messed up still… :tdown: to that place.

“Yeah, we really wanted more money for the truck, so… We’re just going to go ahead and take it back and then sell it to you again…”

:lol:

I don’t know what’s more fucked up, that dealership or the Tennessee legal system that hasn’t jumped on an obvious case of a stolen vehicle.

Plus the guy traded his old car.

anyone see the vid where the upset customer drove right through the freakin showroom floor, got out, poored gas all over everything and lit that bitch right during normal business hours ha ha… Thats what should have been done…

seriously thats messed up…hes only out the 8k if they cashed his check…, but they stole the truck the next day…what about his trade?

there was a vid of that!?!? Link please!!!

ok, so heres what i want to know. the guy ownes the truck. it is his. it is titled to him, registered to him, and the papers were all signed b4 he left the place. he stated that he still had the keys, so uh, y didnt he just go to the dealership and take HIS truck back?

Yes.

Altough if I’m right, the dealership usually processes the DMV related paperwork. If I were a betting man, I bet all the papers he signed for his title, etc. are sitting on a desk and haven’t been filed.

Maybe he should roll over and take his car back, and LOCK IT IN HIS GARAGE. He does still have the key…