Steelers 08

so far we lost faneca to the jets, just happened tonight.

the Jets… where Steelers linemen go to die.

watch him have a horrible season

It’s clear he went for the money. The Jets are terrible. When is the last time they have even been in the playoffs, let alone won a Super Bowl? And he’s already 31, do they honestly expect 5 more productive years out of a 31 year old guard? A lot of Pittsburghers are pissed I’m sure but I think the Steelers made the right move.

the jets made him the highest paid offensive lineman in the league

The Jets are not a bad team at all, almost every game they lost they lost by like 3< points. The last time they were in the playoffs that i remember was when they almost knocked the Steelers off when we won the Super Bowl but they missed a field goal if i remember correctly. They should have a nice offensive line this year if they can keep Faneca healthy.

As for the Steelers i dont think Faneca will be that big of a loss… our line sucked aside from him… now there just gonna suck period! They will fill the gaps over the next couple years

i agree that they made the right move…he wasnt worth what he wanted. the steelers will work out the problems hopefully and come back with a somewhat imporved offensive line…hopefully

This sucks.

:wtcslap: come on kid…it was the year we went 15-1…Ben played like shit and we got lucky. I hope you don’t consider yourself a real Steeler fan.

i heard that Ben might have his extension by the end of today. should be interesting.

as for faneca, its sad to see him go. hes tough to replace. im happy for him and we need to make some moves on that line to keep our superstar qb protected and make life alittle easier for Willie.

8yrs 102mil. 36 garaunteed.

Wow…that’s close to Brady (13/yr) and Manning(14/yr) $$…shocked they paid him (Ben) that

I like the guy, but the Steelers brass is absolutely wonderful and knowing when to get rid of people. When was the last time we got rid of anyone that ended up doing anything? Plax? Well he wanted to leave on his own accord. Joey had a terrible year. anyone ever heard Kimo Von Oelhoffen’s name mentioned recently. Even back to when we got rid of Kevin Greene, Rod Woodson, etc.

And on the flip side of that coin, they’re great at drafting mediocre players and turning them into superstars.

This is the reason that the Steelers are always a top-tier team year after year.

yeah, as much as i liked faneca, it would be very difficult to pay a lineman that much money and still be able to keep other big names

So Ben gets 102 million over 8 years(12.75 mil/yr) which includes a 25 mil sigining bonus.

Faneca gets 40 mil over 5 years (8 mil/yr)…not sure of the signing bonus.

Seems like both made out really good

damn!!!

for the most part, i somewhat agree. it just sux cause Faneca was the 1 steady anchor in our otherwise weak O-line. so now what? i am not impressed with anyone else that was on that line, really. so we need to start all over or make due with the ppl we have. i wouldnt be confident with this current group protecting Ben.

it would be nice to see ben get some protection for more than 2 seconds

Faneca was good, but i think they made the right move…he started getting whiny the past couple years.

bump
from postgazette.com

The Steelers came to contract terms today with their top two draft picks and will have all their picks signed to contracts when they open training camp Sunday in Latrobe.

Running back Rashard Mendenhall, the team’s first-round draft choice, came to terms on a five-year deal. Wide receiver Limas Sweed, their second-round choice, agreed to a four-year contract.

Mendenhall will sign for five years at $12.55 million. He will receive bonuses as part of that contract worth $6.83 million. Contract terms for Sweed were not immediately available.
More details in tomorrow’s Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

nice