Steering wheel shake @ 100km/h

My steering wheel shakes when driving above 100km/h… Thought it would go away after I got my new tires/alignment but it didn’t. The shake is so frequent sometimes it shakes the whole car.

Any suggestions for things I could check for problems?

Thanks

Jason

maybe a bent rim?

Hmm, how would I check for that? There is no clearly visible damage. Suppose its possible the previous owner bumped a curb.

Jason

Are your shocks in good shape?

As far as I can tell they are. No leaking, bouncing, sagging etc. The shake seems to sporratically vary in intensity. Frequency reduces the faster I go.

Jason

check how tight your rims are… i remember when i first started driving, my 88 Voyager would shake like that, the bolts weren’t tightened evenly, so that’s what caused it…

if your wheels are on tight, what i would suggest is putting ur car on the jack stands and check all your suspension links, ball joints, bushings, etc…

Does your steering wheel shake as well? or do you just feel vibration in the car?

Car shakes with my old & new tires - wheels torqued down by tire installer. Mainly its the steering wheel that shakes.

Jason

Maybe a simple wheel balance would solve the problem?

possibly bad alignment, tc rod, ball joint, wheel bearings, balancing, flatspots, rotors, rim, broken belt in tire, ect.

I thought the same about the balancing before I got the new tires… They were balanced when installed. Shaking happened before & after new tires. Alignment is spot on, shaking doesn’t occur under braking.

Jason

i have the exact same problem. a while back it was happening when i was idling and it turned out being the transmission mount. so i had one of them replaced. now im wonderin if its the other one startin to go. bring it to a mechanic and post your findings heh

I had your exact same prob… it was 2 things, bent rims, and it needed a tie rod. But like it has been said it could also be ball joints, or bearings (but unlikely, you would hear a humming noise)

It is most likely a bent rim, check them all again very closely, even a small dent could cause the vibration.

if it were a rim it wouldnt be vibrating only at 100km. and then stop afterwards

I had the same problem with an older 200sx. Turned out to be bad allignment.

I’ve also had this problem when mounting after-market rims with incorrect offsets and not having the car propperly re-alligned.

I suppose the shaking doesn’t really stop when going over 100km/h - maybe its just going so fast it evens itself out. Its weird 'cuz its more intense at different times. I could be driving the same stretch of highway one day and it shakes like hell but another day on the same stretch its not bad at all.

Jason

I am telling you I am pretty sure it is a minor dent in one of the rims. Check them all carefully or if you have a spare set, switch them on and see if you notice a difference when driving.

Go to a mechanic you trust and get a FULL front-end inspection; I vote suspension damage/misalignment.

alright lets get this guy to a mechanic and find out for sure hehe

Agreed.