Steering Wheel Shakes Badly

Alright, basically when im driving over 120km/h my steering wheel starts to shake side to side and i have to hold it down hard to stop the shaking, and when i brake at high speeds the steering wobbles even more, its very noticable and im thinking what could be causing this.

poor rotors and brakes?

poor alignment, take it to an allignment shop and they will get you going in a straight line. plus increase your suspension parts, and tire life. Warped rotors you will feel the car slow down in somewhat of a slowdown, go, slow, fashion (dono how to explain it) but basically you will feel the car brake then loose brakes and regain them a bit. that shouldnt cause the steering wheel to move unless 240’s have a poor steering rack, ect. could also be your steering rack is almost gone. In any resort an allignment only costs 60 or so bucks here in kingston, not sure else where, prices seem to fluctuate.

check the balance of the tires

sounds like your in need of a few things balacing your rims or the steel belts in the tires are gone which means you need new tires, as for the rumbling when your on the brakes it means your rotors are warped depending how bad it is you could get away with machining them if not you’ll having to get new rotors as well i recommend cross drilled much harder to warp but not machineable after their warped

Yeah ill be doing an alignment at my shop asap. Im also thinking about new rotors and pads for sure.

My tires are perfectly balanced as i did them myself a month ago.

Thanks for the info guys.

sounds like an alignment for sure, your toe is probably all wacky… i dont think the balance of the tires would affect the braking…

do you have aftermarket rims? If you do make sure you have the centering rings for them. I forgot to put mine on last time i had my rims off and my steering wheel would shake at hwy speeds.

Nope stock rims. Yeah i had a feeling it had to be alignment for sure. Can the rears be adjusted as well? i think they can…

They could when the car was new, but after 15 years all the bolts are beyond seized.

just sell the steering wheel to me, i’ll give u my stock 1, straight trade its a deal, oem wheel for a momo , let me knw

shutup.

if u want my blue jdm neon let me know

My car did this for along time while I replaced everything trying to fix it. Turns out badly warped front rotors were the issue. Now its comming back again slightly.

from my experiance rotors wont make the car shake at highway speeds. Start with an alignment casue like jammin said your toe is prolly messed up. i had this same issue a couple months ago and thats what fixed it.

its 2 different problems with similar results, unbalanced tires or warped rims make the car vibrate at highway speeds, and extremely warped rotors make your car/steering wheel vibrate like crazy when on the brakes. Add those 2 problems together and you got yourself one hell of a highway ride

To me, it sounds like a TC rod bushing issue. Check them for cracks and leaks.