steering wheel shakes violently when breaking

As the title says steering wheel shakes violently when breaking softly at about 40 mph. Any idea why

warped disc?

Wouldn’t it shake no matter what though

Warped / bad rotors

/ thread

First of all what is breaking when you hit 40mph?

Def sounds like brake related. Time to upgrade!

There was a thread about this. Rotors don’t warp :lol

Braking my bad on that but I’m almost positive its not the rotor because if I brake hard there is no shaking idk I’m stumped

I am no mechanic, but if this happened to me and I KNOW 100% is not brake related; I would probably put the car on jack stands and make sure all the suspension/steering linkage is to spec and alignment is within spec.

wasnt this the car that needed balljoints or control arms?

Yes replaced the ball joints and torqued everything back to spec. I’m wondering if it could be worn out tie rods or something else

A bad alingment won’t cause a vibe , unless tires are causing ign. If the vibe is only when on the brakes its brake related if its in the steering wheel its in the front , if its in the pedal its in the reads , if its in the st wheel and pedal its the front lol . It could be a loose pad , slight warp in rotors , a Hung caliper slide etc .

it’s probably an issue with the front rotors. They are slightly warped or have pad material built up on them somewhere. The pulsation isn’t there with a heavy brake application because the additional clamping force mitigates the issue. Measure the rotors for thickness variation anything more then .003 inch will cause a pulsation in the pedal and vibration in the wheel when the brakes are applied.

Putting the car on a lift tommorow. Thank God for the army and access to a full garage for free!

common thing on bmw’s … thrust arm bushings are the cause but it seems as though its somesort of suspension thing

Pad deposits embedded in rotors.

Replace or shim the rotors.

Shim the rotors lol , I posted a pic on my Facebook. Just ti debunk the rotors don’t warp thery . Go look , rotors do warp !!!

What about tension arm bushings being shot. Would that cause it

Has it been tested for Carkinson’s Disease?

That’s frickin epic