Vibration & Wheel Shake Problem

Hello Son

I have been having a problem. The problem first started with a outer tie rod that needed to be changed. I procrastinated on changing it for a long time. After a while i lost my power steering reservoir cap and a Shaking in the steering wheel became obvious. Around 60-80 mark you could really feel it, thinking it was just that tie rod i wasn’t to worried.

The past Monday i went out got the tie rod end and installed it. Although that pull to the right was diminished, the shake in the steering wheel was still very obvious. I don’t no why this shake has come about, and i have no clue as to what to look for.

Another problem i have also noticed is a vibration whiles driving. Whiles driving there is this ANNOYING vibration coming from the rear or the passenger side of the car i believe. Just sounds like something rubbing, or basically a GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR noise. The funny thing about this vibration is that the more i turn the car right the noise goes away. Ive looked at stuff hanging to see if tires are rubbing or anything, and all is clear. This is also a problem i wish i could have fixed.

Please help me fix these problems guys.

Thanks

Randy Rashid

From what you have just described, You may have on of two situations on your hands…or both.

Due to the fact that the damaged tie rod was neglected, the adverse wear has set your front end alignment out of wack considerably. This will often wear your tires in such a way that damage such as feathering, or in severe cases a shifted or broken belt within the tire itself will be the end result. To verify this, remove your front wheels and run your hands over the tread (if they are bald, watch out for radial wire…it hurts), if the tire is feathered then the outer/inner edges will feel like scales, lifting up…its pretty obvious. If a belt has shifted in the tire, same deal, run your hands over the tread. You would have to be dumbfounded to miss this one, a big friggin lump in the tread.

As for the “grrrrrrrrrr” noise that goes away when you turn,… I’m sorry to say but thats a wheel bearing dying. To verify this, find your suspect wheel and jack that corner of the car up. I would think jackstands goes without saying. Once the wheel is off the ground, and the vehicle is secure, grip the wheel from the top and bottom and try to shake it up and down (or in and out, top of car vs bottom of car). If there is any play whatsoever, that bearing is done and needs to be replaced. Keep in mind that side to side play (front of car vs back of car) would denote problems with suspension components.

I hope this was helpfull, good luck on your diagnosis.

I agree with the wheel bearing, sounds like its your right rear one.

As for the shaking. Did you hit any pot holes? Maybe you bent your rim a bit? Do you have hub centric rings?

You do realize that a power steering system is a CLOSED system just like brakes and clutches, etc… So now that you lost the cap you probably have a crap load of air in your system… BAD… Very bad, the vibration could be caused do to this… Basically air has gotten in and created gaps in your system.

every single post here is dead on accurate.

follow through! :slight_smile: good luck

Ye thanks alot guys. Ill check it out now and report back.

I found that the wheel shake was a bad tire. The tire was Bald and there was hills and valleys caused by donuts, i threw on a spare and it went away.

I checked the hubs and they checked out?!? i moved it up and down and nothing? I didnt check in and out, so that may be the problem ill check it tommorow.

When you are at it, check your TC Rods bushings as these are the first one to be replaced.

In rare cases, a defunkt wheel bearing can be noisy without having play, the only way to confirm this is to drive the car in the air and listen to the bearing with a mechanic’s stethascope. I do not suggest you try this yourself, take it in…describe the noise and request a suspension check. If it’s a good shop, the tech will take it for a drive in order to evaluate the issue and experience the problem for him/herself. Then they will put the car up, perform a through inspection and prepare an estimate based on their findings.

^^^

uh yeah.

^^^
time for yearly checkup, lol

Eric?

Lmfao what gave it away? I’ve been bored since I got laid off due to lack of work. So to keep my wit sharp and entertain my hobby I have been trolling these threads trying to help people out as much as I can.

The user name from UNI and the tech advise in depth like always. Best way to give advise if your going to do it at all IMO.

Yes sir, do it right or do it twice.

How about if it goes away when the car is under a certain RPM (usually 3k) but it’s intermitent / doesn’t make the sound every time…is that still a bearing??

i agree that it is most likely a wheel bearing but if the sound is rpm realated , my best guess if u have a huge fart cannon like i do check the top of the muffler farther back from the tip to see if it is close or touching, when i baught my car it had a brutle rattle coming from the back and it just turned out that the aftermarket exhaust didnt quite clear the steel enforcment behind the rear bumper so i needed to grind it back a bit but it sounds like the same symptoms i had. also check all the way up to the down pipe because it might not neccesarily be just your muffler causing the rattle.

good luck

cheers