Strait Cut Gears SR20DET -

So i was going back and fourth over SR transmission or Z32 and was checking some things out and came across this -

S14 SR20DET FS5W71C 3 Speed Close Ratio Gear Kit
5 Speed Close Ratio Gear Kit with Strengthened Input Shaft
Strengthened Main Shaft (Only)

GEAR RATIOS
Set Type 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
3spd 2.717 1.722 1.232 — —
5spd 2.596 1.765 1.250 1.000 0.833

i could consider getting 1st to 3rd strait cut… 4th and 5th leave alone ? i don’t know if this would be worth it or not but its a possibility, rather than blow 4 trannys a year

I assume your drifting or drag racing which is why you only want 1 2 3 striaght cut? What are you using the car for? Never mind, just read your sig.

Peace

you need 4th straight cut more than 1st, trust me.

Z32 trans

hey, sry, but what does straight cutting a gear mean?

buy nismo reinforced 6-speed lol only like 4000

Straight cut gears are stronger than helical ones, but their engagement is very rough in comparison. The helical gears are at an angle, so that they engage smoother, but this makes them more prone to breakage, etc. I believe that 99% of all street cars have helical gears, not sure if it does, but I think the Porsche GT3 might have straight cut.

how do you guys break trannies like that?

I used one tranny for over 100,000km’s and beat the shit out of it… had SR’s for like 6 years now and never blown a tranny…

ya’ll niggiz is crazy

Now I know, I’m not the only one. :slight_smile:

Whew

:lol: I still don’t know how you guys do it. I have no problem with my RB tranny… And of the 3 KAs I owned I shifted all three clutchless (up and down). Only time I clutched in was on pullaway or quick downshifts.

All I’ve heard… is no one goes back from z32 tranny. I know a couple people out west that have switched over to to… and love it. The only compliant I’ve ever heard, has been it is slightly more laggy than an sr tranny. I don’t know if this is a fact, or just an opinion…but thats what I have heard.

Next years motor build will have a mazworks plate adaptor… I’ve always planned on eventually running a z32 tranny.

RB25 and Z32 tranny’s are the same…no?

i haven’t broke yet either, but keezy broke like 5 last year and we were pulling shards out of his drain plug lol - 500 hp is my worry, i would like to stick with 5spd sr tranny and just get the gear set - reverse gear is strait cut that’s why it winds when you reverse - (so im told)

1 to 3 would be the only option from OS Giken and for around $950 or so a gear its not too too bad -

i haven’t broke yet either, but keezy broke like 5 last year and we were pulling shards out of his drain plug lol - 500 hp is my worry, i would like to stick with 5spd sr tranny and just get the gear set - reverse gear is strait cut that’s why it winds when you reverse - (so im told)

1 to 3 would be the only option from OS Giken and for around $950 or so a gear its not too too bad -

z32 is a little longer than sr thats why people say its laggy - and is another thing i dont want to deal with, with a larger turbo -

Be ballin like me and rock a Z33 tranny :smiley: 6 speed, good up to 650 (apparently)

EDIT before I get a flame - Z33 tranny is not functional yet, adaptor plate has to be machined yet and input shaft extended. But its a work in progress :stuck_out_tongue:

it doesnt, neither does the gt3rs

i think the gt1 does though…

chris blew 3 trannies, 1 being sr and it had a grind in third, 2nd was a ka tranny on sr bellhousing same thing grind, then third ka tranny he blew that to shit because ka trannies suck,

now he has a mint sr tranny

i have had the same tranny in my car since i got it, and beat the shit out of it, mine grinds in 4th, but who cares its a track car

stop trying to re invent the wheel and replacing things that have yet to break lol

Pfft, a grinding gear does not count as a blown tranny. If that’s the case I’ve blown more trannies than I can count on one hand.

get a mint gearset and have em shot peened and cryotreated