STRI GAUGES?

anyone see these STRI gauges? they look nice and cheaper then DEFI. i guess match the STI cluster better. Subaru guys are eating these up.

http://www.ravspeconline.com/images/stri/dsd-install-pic.jpg

http://www.striracing-usa.com/hom.htm

probably megan racing guages… if they are electronic i cant see how they would be wrong… only thing that bothers me is EGT… sometimes the cheaper guages the probe is off by 1-200 degrees… (autometer)

i keep hearing how DEFI boost gauges are off. these are not cheap gauges by any means but they arent as expensive as DEFI. for 3 defi’s and pod is around 799 and for 3 STRI’s and pod its about 500.

I don’t think so, the company is based in the Netherlands.

Every 6 months a new set of these Defi knock offs pops up. Every kind we’ve been brought was totally useless garbage. They read totally wrong AND inconsistant making having them worse than not having them at all. They require hardwiring from the gauges to the sending units instead of being plug and play so in the end people spend more on those than Defis because of install time. Then the gauges generally break in a couple months. One guy even had the oil pressure sending unit internally fail where the wires came out of it dumping tons of oil out and leaving him on the side of the road. Why anyone buys this crap is beyond me. You don’t cheap out where it counts.

Defi boost gauges are not off. We’ve installed dozens of them and never had an issue. I always watch the MAP sensor vs. the gauge when I tune the cars after the install is done.

:word: If I remember correctly there is no control box like the defi’s. I think they are on the back of the gauges or something… and the best part of the defis is the control box and the plug and play wiring with the daisy chain.

Buy defis and be done with it.

Jeller

Agreed, Defis are the way to go. I have yet to see another gauge that is even worth installing.

so you bought these gauges and tried them?

a lot of times knock brands are made in the same factories. Bing should add his 2 cents on this.

Kevin, before you buy these you should see if other people tested them vs.defis on the Subaru boards

I <3 my Defi’s

they have and these gauges are mostly sold buy dealers who sell Defis. i keep hearing talk about Defi boost gauges reading high. My defis boost gauge read higher. we noticed it on the dyno. im not saying these are better then defis or anything just an alternative to spending 800 on gauges. these are about 300 dollars cheaper for 3 gauges and a pod

I say do it, they could possibly be more accurate than DEFIs, no one here knows

ok thats awesome but this isnt a discusion of defis vs stri. so you can keep your 2 cents about how much you love your defis to your self.

i have owned both the defi BF and defi D gauges. im aware of how they are

so be the first to try them out back to back with defi’s

the greddy and HKS guages are made by teh same OEM as defi…

My boost gauge was off i believe by 2 psi because of the position but If I’m not mistaken Mike reworked some thing so it read properly. My friend originally install it. So now its reading 22 PSI like its suppose too.

dont be a dick, read my last post

This may help

I installed a pair of amber STRI DSD SLM boost and water temp gauges to match my STi cluster a few months back. I must admit that they do look awesome considering the price and I give them a 8/10 in matching the STI cluster color.

Coming from a 60mm Greddy warning boost gauge I was pretty disappointed in how the STRI needle moved. The greddy was very fluid and smooth and the STRI was very notchy moved in steps. I also question its accuracy since the gauge sits a notch below “0” when I have the key in the ignition. Besides that the gauge have been working fine.

Now on to the Water temp gauge.

I’ve been through 3 sensors, 3 gauges and 2 wire harness so far and its still messed up. It would work fine for a few days/weeks but out of the blue the temp would jump from 190-200 to 150 to 0…basically all over the place on its own. Every time its something different and I’m pretty much just going to accept the fact that you get what you pay for. Kudos to ravspec for being patient with me and completely hassle free with sending me the replacement gauges.

Gauges are useless if you can’t trust them.

I shoulda just chalked up the $$$ for some Defi’s right in the beginning

Alan

im going to be a dick if you post useless info in my thread. these gauges are not sold by shitty companies. gruppe-s put them in there line up

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/dressup-interior/108687-electronic-blowout-defi-blitz-stri-gauge-combos-500-sun-auto-hyper-ground-99-a.html

every electronic gauges are going to have there problems. my defi boost read high and my defi EGT sometimes wouldnt even turn on. i had Jeff Evans even go through the wiring.

Well I was looking for some good info and I hope what I posted by someone who bought them helps

I can think of just a few reasons not to buy these even without talking about quality:

1. Dim Feature- goes from bright to dim in accordance to your dash lights. (this sux, my defis do this, but I can also manually dim or brighten them if needed via the control box) For ex: you turn on your lights cause its raining, but not dark out, so your gauges need to be on a bright setting… the stri ones will be on dim and hard to see, unless you want them bright as hell all the time, day or night (annoying at night).

2. How do you use the peak function? (I use this all the time).

3. How do you adjust the warning levels? (need to be reset everytime the battery is disconneted, this will be annoying without a control box).

4. Adjustments are via the back of the gauge…?

5. Record feature? nice to have but not a necessity imho.

just some things to think about, invest in the defis :tup:
Go see mike, he will set you up.

Jeller