Stripped Valve Cover Bolts...Best Solution?

The engine I picked up (KA) has a couple stripped bolts on the valve cover…
What exactly is my best solution to this? I know getting it re-threaded would cost me a fortune.

Any idea as to who can do it and at what price? Or even a better solution?

EDIT: KA24DE

Replace the studs.

EDIT: the bolts arent stripped…the head threads are.

You mean on head? the bolts goes through the valve cover and treads into the head.

Is the engine in the car?

^^ Yea.

the two front ones go right thru the head, you can get longer bolts for it and put a nut on the end of them and then just get bigger bolts for the other ones

you could drill them out and tap them for a bigger thread, or helicoil them… Do you know anyone with a tap and die set?

Pete, I can get the bolts out no problem, my only real problem is that the actual threads of the head are stripped…i guess the only solution would be to tap them. Only down side to this is that I don’t know anyone with the set or someone I would trust to do it.

Buy a set at CT …quite useful …its very easy to do it too!

Lol I don’t think i’d trust myself doing my head considering i’ve never used one before.

You got one Lucas?

Same thing happened to me when I did my chain guides. I would suggest helicoils if the bolts are the ones down the centre, since you can keep the factory bolts, plus the helicoils are much less prone to strip and break. I still got some left over, PM me if you are interested.

PM’d

i have a tap set

Peter, I’m getting the helicoil set…i know you want to do it for me :wink: