Stripping chrome?

I have a chrome bumper that I want to shave some bolt/trim holes on. Is there any way to remove the chrome chemically? When I’m done I haven’t decided if I want to get it re-chromed or just paint it to match. EIther way I imagine it would be best to remove all of the old chrome anyways, right?

Chromium may be stripped anodically in an aqueous solution of sodium hydroxide.

IOW, charge the piece positively in a bath of NaOH and water if it’s hexavalent chrome.

sodium hydroxide is tough to get though isn’t it? I believe its a key ingredient to meth.

Maybe I’ll just put a little elbow grease into it with a flap disc…

Production of ice uses ehpedrine, red phosphorus and sodium hydroxide which makes any/all of these hard to get now thanks to the DOJ Reduction of Methamphetamine Act

Sodium hydroxide is produced (along with chlorine and hydrogen) via the chloralkali process. This involves the electrolysis of an aqueous solution of sodium chloride. The sodium hydroxide builds up at the cathode, where water is reduced to hydrogen gas and hydroxide ion.

You’d need to be very careful about the Hydrogen and Chlorine coming off that reaction and dispose of it in a safe way.

Well since I left my chemical engineering degree in my other pants I’ll just manually strip it off. Thanks.

AMF sand blasted some parts for me. Took the chrome off the handlebars and some other bikes parts. Jeff painted them black and turned out real nice.

Get them to do that and they can powder coat same color as your truck (car?), too.

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

Hahaha, thats what I was thinking, hahaha, thats funny

:kekegay:

call my ex girlfriend, she can get that chrome off

spoken like it was truly cut n pasted from wikipedia

if it was a trailer hitch ball, id say give it to schmeider

zing

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

John just take it over Dougs house i’m sure he has something to it off with :rofl:

Part of it was, part of it wasn’t. Do I need to leave footnote credits?

No, but quoting shit out of Wikipedia isn’t going to help a guy get some chrome off his bumper. If he was looking for the chemical opposite to the chrome and all that shit you spouted, I really doubt he would have logged onto Pittspeed to find out.