Strut Help

I’m in the process of replacing my busted pos stock struts, and it struck me as peculiar that the mounts were turning freely before I even put the spring compressors on. And when I got the piston nut off, BANG the spring SHOT the spring seat and mount like a good 3 feet ( Yes, I’m using spring compreessors).

So how can I take apart the 2nd one without the craziness, and potential new hole in my wall or self?

Pay someone you dont like to get it done :stuck_out_tongue:

I dont get it, if you were using the spring compressor properly there wouldnt be any force on the top plate so it shouldnt go anywhere… Maybe you just needed to compress the spring more?

It’s best if It’s someone I don’t like and it’s free.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but are all the loop on the springs supposed to be spaced evenly, when it’s mounted on the strut? Because the ones I’m working on have the top and bottom 2 loops pressed close together, while the middle 3 are normal distance apart. I tightened those 3 loops until compressor won’t go any further, and the top and bottom loops still didn’t get all that spread out. I figure that’s what launching my strut mount and seat, so what can I do?

are you using a impact gun to tighten the spring compressor? I reccomend it.

Could the compressor physically not close anymore because it reached its limits or could you just not tighten it anymore? The spring should be able to freely move slightly inbetween the upper and lower mount to insure there is not pressure still on the mount.

The spacing of the spring you describe is normal.

Are you using the Canadian tire spring clamps? if so you have to tighten them evenly. I rented them, and the spring looked like it was bucklin, i ended up borrowing a snap on spring compressor, 1000% safer.

To be on the safe side, Pay someone to do it

i dont fuck with life threatening shit like that… best to pay someone… but since im assuming you got one out… u cant get the car to a shop…

get some pro help. ask questions at a shop. tell them your situation… maybe u can find a mechanic willing to come to your house as a side job.

Weather was good, so took it out to the yard. Same thing happened, but got it done.