Stupid question on gas prices

OK, call me dumb. but if gas prices are going up because of the growing prices of oil. Why is a quart of oil roughly the same price? Shouldn’t we be paying like $120/oil change now?

wtf?

:slight_smile:

isnt the crude oil they use to produce gas sweet crude? and for motor oils and lubricants they use something else? i could be wrong but that is probably why. sweet crude is what keeps goin up.

let me preface this:
this is only my understanding of oil and refining oil… i’m a computer guy and have no idea really… i just like to know whats up :slight_smile:

crude oil is crude oil… oil contains hydrocarbons… each different chain of hydrocarbon is a different ‘grade’ of oil… methane, ethane and the like… when they distill these oils they heat them up to the temperature range of the oil’s vapor limit and extract it… so crude is broken into different levels of ‘grades’ of oil… (i say grades because i don’t know the official connotation) … anyway, gasoline is a mixture of two of these specific chains of carbon found in oil.

SO… motor oil is made for viscosity… to achieve the viscous levels needed in motor oil, you use parts of crude that do not vaporize… gasoline vaporizes before water boils… so low temps… whereas motor oil never vaporizes… (or shouldn’t).

so yeah… two different levels of oil… crude’s price in general hasn’t been the issue but rather the refinement and costs associated to create the correct string of carbon’d oil to make gas.

hows that sound?

or there is the other theory that since our dollar is plummeting that make gas cost more…so its not the gas going up…its the value of the dollar going down.

I don’t know crap about oil i’m just throwing the theory out there.

Like a load of horse shit(even though it makes sense). If America wanted prices to really really go lower…automobile companies would be pushed much harder to make alternative fuel vehicles…

I don’t think you guys want to hear my political banter… rather i was explaining the logistics of how oil is refined! i love pretending to know stuff. :booty:

but thats not gonna happen because then as we all know there are some people that wouldnt be stacking their pockets any longer

fuck em…us little guys need a break…a big one

all the gas companies really have to say is that the rest of the world has been paying these prices for years. we are just finally catching up, our supply and demand is also much higher than the rest of the worlds. but i do believe that the other countries have been paying more at the pump because they get breaks in other areas of living, which is where we are getting screwed me thinks

Really? Your kidding right?

If the price of crude isnt the issue, then why the hell is home heating oil $3.999 a gallon now thqat crude is over $125.00 a barrel, but back when crude was $65.00 a barrel, home heating oil was $0.899 per gallon?

Crude prices, refinment costs, transporting costs, ect all affect the price at the pump.

But you know the number one thing that affects pump price, right?

YOU, me, and every other person that continues to pay the prices without reducing your driving habits and styles (seen as gas usage). It’s all simple econonmics, supply and demand, as long there is a demand, and you have the supply, you can charge whatever you want.

It would take a serious strike like us going the way of the china man and riding bicycles everywhere to put a mean dent in the gas prices…hell even if everyone switched to motorcycles and mopeds we probably wouldn’t see a substantial change in gas prices

The prices aren’t going to change … We aren’t going to change them …

Tom hit the nail on the head w/ supply & demand. They will/can charge what they want, as long as there is a demand for it (which there always will be) …

Im not on there side … trust me. Im hurting just like anyone else at the pump … it sucks!!

But I do not see it changing

I paid $4.76 today for fuel. it’s starting to look like bright green kool aid, before it was brown green. :rofl:

I have no idea what the hell im getting at. just found it odd

LOL … It keeps changing colors … getting more greener. Im still trying to figure out why the hell diesel is higher in price than gas, when it takes way less to make diesel fuel.

edit: I didn’t personally pay it. But i blame it on kanye west and al sharpton

Since we already invaded Iraq and the middle east hates us anyway, I say fuck em, and take all of their oil for us. Then the US can become OPEC. :smiley:

can we just bomb opec and let them sort it out and have them buy our E85 :rofl:

no… i’m not kidding. i suppose that my statement was rather unclear. the refinement costs of a sweet vs sour oil is how the prices of the end products fluctuate without the crude prices playing a role. so yeah… i’m not missing the economic model here… it’s pretty simple, nor am i talking about gas prices and oil companys vs opec… i was simply responding to the gasoline vs motor oil question. i know that the demand drives the price and the cost of delivery (of the manufactoring process, not literal shipping) is what is the end result of prices, lets not forget taxes, marketing and good old markup.

but that’s discussion for another thread.

The middle man is what your saying?