Subaru CEL : Catalyst inefficiency, options?

Read the CEL at advanced auto, something about catalyst inefficiency bank 1. So I’m guessing its the front cat right? Since a direct fit cat is $200 and the universal is $80, can I gut the thing and move the o2 sensor further down the exhaust or is that stupid? I really dont wanna buy a universal cat and have to fab it in. What about a test pipe, will it pass inspection since the rear cat is there or are the inspection people prompted to look for both cats?

Edit: its a 97 outback wagon.

As long as you have 1 cat on the car you should be fine as far as inspection. I dont know many places that do a visual check, but as long as they see 1 cat, they let you go.

Im not sure if the leggy is the same as my STI or not, but you might throw a CEL if you only have one cat. IIRC, corrected engine management would fix that or someone with open source tools may be able to turn it off.

I am talking a bit out of my ass here as I dont really know a lot about it, but just what I recall from researching. Try and shoot Mike at Innovative Tuning a PM or email. Subaru is what he knows and does. He should be able to point you in the right direction.

i work at the dealer in the parts dept, dont get a universal fit or aftermarket, it will just create a bigger headache. most likely a p0420? i know our pipes are a bit pricey, but will solve the problem quicker and better than aftermarket parts on this model.

I know OEM is the way to go, the motor was rebuilt 10k ago with all oem parts. I was just looking for a “band-aid” until I could fix it right in 2 months or so. It’s got a brand new cat-back on it that’s oem.

spark plug non fouler hack… it works pretty much 100% of the time on subarus. worked on my 02 forester.

Brian

if it is the front cat then the O2 was directly in the cat, or at least it was on my OBD2 1995 legacy. I am not sure how an obd simulator would work on these. I just found a legacy/outback that was being parted out and it work out great and a lot cheaper.

I have had spark plug non-foulers for years on my protege with no problems.

Should I pull that honeycomb crap out of the cat when I put the non-fouler in?

I just left it as it was. Unless the cat is plugged and you are having issues with it not running well I wouldn’t worry about it. Only thing I did was put the non-foulers in. I’m all about fixing all the problems with my car, but it wasn’t affecting drivability so I couldn’t find a reason to spend the money to replace it. I’ve passed numerous inspections scans with it and the car still drives great.

One thing to mention here is that your rear o2 is the one to look at. The front O2 is used for fuel managment.

Is the car stock?

i suppose i should have mentioned that its on the rear o2.

my car still has the cats and it doesnt even smell once warmed up so they definitely are working. it just wasnt up to the ecu’s standards for a LEV car that meets calif emissions… which i could care less about hence the trickery.

brian

:frowning: poor suby.

I just figured it was the front because the code reader said bank 1. Wonder if the rear cat is any cheaper??? It doesn’t run shitty at all, the car is bone stock. I’m gonna put the non-fouler in and see if it fixes it. Inspection is due in November I think. Thanks.

Most obd2 scanners have a monitor test option, try it and see if it sets the monitor

Does that mean take it to a shop because advanced autos scanner wont do that?

OR A MEMBER i’d be happy to do it

^ :tup:

Sweet, I’ll PM you when I get some free cash/time.

no cash needed takes 5 mins