Subaru Key programing help.

When I purchased my 06 WRX, it only came with one key and one key fob. I’ve been searching around the forums to see how I can program another key and fob without going to the dealer so I have a backup. I’ve come across how to program a fob but not the key which has a chip inside.
Does anyone know if their is a sequence of events you can do to program the Key to the car/ignition after the key gets cut to match yours?

I know the dealer wants you to purchase the key through them and set up service to have them program it. This will probably cost me about $200 or more when all is done and said.

There is allot of good information here: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html

Thank you. Pretty much this tells me I have to go to the dealer so all keys are programmed to the same code. They need both at the same time to take care of my one new key.

ask on Nasioc? it’s probably the same for all Imprezas from that generation

It links to http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#05 legacy program remotes where it describes how to program.

[quote=] If you wish to program another transmitter code into the system (up to four transmitter codes can be programmed into the system), perform the procedure beginning with part 4. When you have finished programming all of the necessary transmitter codes into the system, remove the key from the ignition switch.
Test to make sure it’s right [/quote]

That is for the remotes and not the Keys. I know there is a way to do the remotes which I’ve found all over NASIOC but couldn’t find anything where they programmed the key itself. Only thing I came across were people taking the chip out and strapping it to the housing so which ever key you use, it works. I’m not looking to do that.

Ohhh, I gotcha. If you have the encoded keys I believe that it is a dealership thing. I believe it’s controlled by an external module (behind the glovebox). I haven’t heard of an aftermarket solution. I thought that was only on the STi in 2006.

Call Bobs lock and key very knowledgeable, great prices…he cuts and programs keys and even will come to your house or work! I use him all the time

Thank you, I’ll give this a try.

These guys did a Toyota key for me for half what the dealer wanted.

The guy has the little computer that programs the keys.

suburban will clone your key. they should be cheaper. try different dealerships too. Ive found that some are cheaper than others for whatever reason