Subaru RWD coupe will be sold worldwide

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/il/news/2008/0527/subarufr.500.jpg

TOKYO — As if paying homage to Subaru, Toyota is co-developing a new lineup of rear-wheel-drive sporty coupes employing a revised version of the Subaru Impreza’s platform, boxer engine and transmission. Toyota’s largest contribution to the mix will be product planning and its impeccable quality control.

The Toyota model, still to be named, will be sold exclusively in Japan, while the Subaru-badged model will be marketed worldwide. The mechanical package will be identical, but both Toyota and Subaru will create exterior designs to differentiate their cars from each other.

The basis for this new radical project is to take Subaru’s well-known 4WD powertrain and modify it to create a new rear-wheel-drive setup. Slated to be built at Subaru’s Gunma plant in Japan, both Toyota and Subaru models will employ a revised version of the naturally aspirated boxer 2.0-liter unit generating around 220 horsepower at 6,500 rpm, mated to a six-speed manual gearbox from the current Impreza WRX STI.

Surprisingly, the joint Toyota-Subaru R&D team has chosen the out-of-production, front-wheel-drive Honda Integra Type R as its benchmark, because its styling, performance parameters and dimensions mirror what the development team wants to create.

Expected to ride on a 103-inch wheelbase, the 2,866-pound coupes will use a 2+2 seating configuration.

Slated for a late 2011 debut, the coupes are expected to be priced starting just under $20,000.

What this means to you: Good times on the horizon for fans of low-end rear-wheel-drive coupes

I like it. :eekdance:

why would they not offer a higher powered turbo option?

Want.

2011, not soon enough

damn, now thats sexy! and for starting under $20k…in!

very nice :tup:

i like.

Do a search. How many times have I said I wanted to make a RWD WRX and dump all the un-needed weight and driveline loss of the AWD system? Not just disconnect the front driveshafts, but a true RWD with none of the extra hardware.

I can think of at least 4 threads. :slight_smile:

Anyway, so glad to see them decide to do it. Cheaper, lighter, better weight distribution, less parasitic driveline loss, less likely to understeer, less complex to maintain… the list goes on and on. Can’t wait to see these when they get to dealerships.

Surprisingly, the joint Toyota-Subaru R&D team has chosen the out-of-production, front-wheel-drive Honda Integra Type R as its benchmark, because its styling, performance parameters and dimensions mirror what the development team wants to create.

Even better. Imagine a type r with subie turbo power stock and RWD. :eekdance:

Interesting target to aim for. Should be a fun one to watch develop.

Sounds awesome! A boxter in a rear wheel drive car should be really interesting.

Same car?

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48520

i’m all over that one…where do i sign?

looks like a good formula to me :tup:

it says N/A 2.0…no turbo

True, but it does say 220 hp, so that’s close to the output of the current turbo.

I bet if the 2011’s sell good, there will be a turbo version in 2012.

It’ll probably only be available in Japan though.

hells yea!

“Slated to be built at Subaru’s Gunma plant in Japan, both Toyota and Subaru models will employ a revised version of the naturally aspirated boxer 2.0-liter unit generating around 220 horsepower”

revised being the key word…could be more compression or whatever to get it back to 220

dont get me wrong i’d rather have the 220 hp be boosted from the factory, just makes it easier to mod i think, but hell…I hope they change their minds on this one

:tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

rwd and sti gearbox :tup:

It better get good mpg or its not gonna sell that well in the states because gas is not going to be any cheaper in 2011