Subaru RWD coupe will be sold worldwide

“Slated for a late 2011 debut, the coupes are expected to be priced starting just under $20,000.”

I highly doubt in 2011 this car will come out under 20k

Maybe not, but if it’s really close to 20K, and not much in the market changes, I’ll say this will still be a good buy.

hot car. id def. buy it.

thats exactly what it is.

the haters in this thread are amazing.

Having recently disassembled a subaru transmission… I really can’t see it saving much more than 100bs (true… some of that is rotational weight, so it makes a bit more of a difference). A WRX tranny weighs less than a 300zx transmission. And that includes the transfer shaft and front diff. The only other weight comes from front axles (not too heavy) and a probably slightly bigger front knuckle.

Yeah, there is some frictional/inertial losses that you can save (rotating weight), but it would be actually really easy to gut a WRX/STi transmission to make it true RWD, save for slight (and i mean ~25lbs) extra weight of the front and center differential cases.

100 lbs here, 25 lbs there, some frictional loss here… it adds up, especially in a 220ish HP car like this vs the WRX. It also really adds up because it’s 125 lbs coming off the front of the car, which in an AWD car is often causing the horrible weight balance.

I’m guessing more than 25lbs from the front end too. Simple bearing supported front wheels vs driveshafts, stronger hubs, CV’s and heavier suspension bits to support the extra weight/torque.

I don’t see this as an S2k competitor though. To me this is the ultimate upgrade for all the FWD econocar tuners out there, as well as a great alternative to the “pre-tuned” econocars like the Civic Si, Cobalt SS and Neon SRT4. These kids have realized as the power goes up there are severe limits to the driveability of FWD. With a nice little RWD car as the power goes up the car doesn’t turn into some highway pull only drag car.

for clarity, frictional loss usually pales in comparison to inertial loads.

It’s really not a lot of weight… i’m telling you…

Newman is right.

Frictional loss may be minimal fine, but you can’t tell me taking 125lbs off the front of the car, which in a WRX is front heavy, isn’t going to help the handling.

i’m not saying it wont help. but your initial post hints that removing an incredibly light and (by comparison to other systems) simple AWD system will make a HUGE difference in the car.

However I DO think the car will handle better because it no longer has AWD, and not because of any reason that you’ve thought of. It has less to do with the AWD system and it’s components, but actually the geometry of the Subaru AWD system.

Removing the AWD system from the car allows you to relocate the engine EASILY 6" aft. Maybe more. The Subaru front axles and dif are located to the rear of the engine. By removing this constraint from the design, you can effectively move the engine towards the COG significantly.

convulsions.

lol.

I’ll say it again. It’s a cheap rwd Japanese-made sports car. Not new or exciting (to me). Just because they have been effectively absent in the US since CAFE in the mid 70’s doesn’t signal this as innovative.

It’s also already been mentioned that this is a move to capture some of the spotlight away from the Hyundai Genesis; which will have a rwd drive-train and a claimed 300hp.

It’s also ugly to boot. Pass

:grouphug:

It’s more than $5k less than the 300hp Genesis. 5k gives them plenty of money room to offer an “STi” version with 300 or more HP.

Given the present state of the currency market, I would hesitate to claim MSRP with any reliability. Especially 2-3+ years out. We’ll see.

I’m not saying you couldn’t be right. I’m just not up for all the leg-humping just yet.

I’d be willing to bet the US dollar will be worth more in 2011 than it is today with our interest rates at record lows. I don’t think it’s much of a gamble for them to claim an under 20k price.

Bold statement :wink:

Similiar??? if you switched front clips the car would be exactly the same, the car is identical front the doors back, even the damn mirrors are the same!!! :tdwon:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g164/sloowrt/coupe.jpg

altima Fwd…this guy is saving for 2011 to buy his new subaru

also ultima is ugly as sin. that subie/toy front end looks baddass.

toyotas and subarus have always shared a close resemblance to each other.

i agree with moving the motor back 6" would help with a 50/50 weight distribution. the same way a rx-7’s motor was MID-front.
High reving 2 litre boxer coupe would rule. the tricky part is keeping the car cheap & light.