Subaru Timing belt?

Anybody ever do a Timing Belt on a Subaru before? Its a 2000 Impreza, with the 2.2 motor. My friend needs his done, I was just wondering how hard it is, any special tools I need, or any surprises I may run into? Thanks, please lemme know!

Justin

not abnormally hard but on the subaru one cam has to point up and one has to point down. just do your research n make sure you use the right timing marks cuz there are a bunch of diffrent marks n it can get confusing

I thought subarus used a special tool for the cam gear…maybe its just for STi engines but I would recommend the Scooby genius of Innovative Tuning if you get stuck

i’ve done a timing belt on a 1.8, i think they are basicly the same design. its not as bad as some timing belts. the only small probs i had was the plastic cover bolts were rusty from the winter salt and i had to put longer bolts and nuts in when i put the covers back on. idk about your motor, but i have seen several subaru motors where the cam seals/crank seal started to leak oil, so if you are in that far, look and see if they are in good shape. its a good time to replace them since your this far. also remember what dftsilvia said about the timing marks. its easy to mess up-i did and wasted an hour tryin to find what i did wrong(i used the wrong mark on the crank pulley). also, make sure to torque the crank bolt down the right way i ruined a balancer on mine cuz i didnt torque it down enough (i think its 94 ft-lbs, but you should check i’m not positive). when i aligned my timing marks the driver side cam started to open a valve so i had a friend hold it with a wrench so it wouldnt spring back while i put the belt on, but there are tools to hold the gears in place while you work. the belt tensioner is held on by 2 bolts, take it off, put in a benchvice and over acouple minutes squeeze it, and put a pin through the holes to hold it, then put it back on the block. after installing the belt(and checking the timing marks again) pull the pin.for mine, when i would get the belt on, tension it and rotate the engine to check the marks the driver side would be off by one tooth, so i turned the driver side cam clockwise almost 1 tooth past the mark on the block, so when i pulled the tensioner pin and the belt tightened, the marks were perfect(if you run into this problem you’ll know what i mean. sorry for being so long winded, just tryin to help you with what i have run into. hope i explained it ok, the 2.2 might be alittle different from mine, but if its not, this gives you a good idea of what to expect.