Subie went boom

The subie went boom after autocross in Philly. It got towed to some random goodyear earlier today.

:Idiots

what happened what broke?

why am i not surprised

its a subaru

The classic 2.5 head gasket failure?

More like the classic subaru eats bearings due to oil cavitation issue :frowning:

eww that sucks man

You IM’d me - CBRD Speedfactory is in PA and prolly one of your better bets. Chad knows his shit.

damn man sorry to hear!

Shit you know I forgot they were in PA.

Yeah mike…that’s going to be your best bet down there for certain. Did you get my messages?

I got one about the transmissions. do you have more info about engine block replacements?

I’m starting to think that a built 2.5rs block is going to be my best bet right now as I’m being pushed to simply fix the car so I can use the car to commute to work. If I can get a built block that won’t require additional parts or wiring I might be able to get it dropped in there without too much hassle.

good stuff. Only 55 miles from where it is right now. Hopefully they’ll be able to help me out. The trick will be getting the car there. I don’t think AAA will tow it again.

sorry to hear, but im seriously not suprised. It seems like i hear about subarus blowing up ALL the time

Glad to be of assistance

What a shocking turn of events, I’ve simply never heard of subarus having any issues. You must be mistaken.

Find out what block you have(phase 1 or 2). Phase 1 ended in 98 but some 99’s carried over phase one and some 98’s were updated with Phase 2 motors. Was a random run of the mill as to what you would end up with.

I would look for a phase 2 block with the larger rod mains(52mm) and 5th main thrust, Get matching heads and intake manifold as well!!! Port configuration is different between the two phases and the intake manifolds are required. Different bolt configurations at the bellhousing but bolt up to the EG series bellhousing just the same.

Look for a phase 2 RS motor up to '05. Use you’re heads/manifolds and swap over the CPS reluctor wheel/timing sprocket on the crank. You can use an Sti phase 2 block, but unless you immediately put forth the necessary components and tuning to turbocharge it you’ll be driving a low CR pig.

I have Moon’s shop car motor here for a rebuild now. Was a built 2.5RS phase one that failed(rod main, 49mm) that failed due to oil starvation on the dyno…

Lots we can discuss, all depends on how much $$$ you can throw at it to get it done at CBRD.

my car is a '00 so does that mean its definitely a phase 2?

If I grab a phase 2 STI block with the complete turbo setup what else would I need? Could I use my sensors or do something else to avoid the serious wiring PITA that people say you need with that swap?

oh no were dropping like flies :Idiots

I guess I’ll get into what happened while I wait for Adam’s suggestions…

Took an unplanned trip down to Philly, followed the fiance because the father in-law wanted to go to an autox with me.

After the last run of the autox I heard a knocking and immediately diagnosed it as rod knock. I checked the oil and the dip stick was dry, which is a bit ridiculous. its been maybe 4k miles since I changed it, it doesn’t leak or drip at all, and I never have seen the car smoking or smelled oil. I don’t know where the hell it all went. Anyway, I got some oil, filled it up, and tried to limp it back to the in-laws house. I was on the road maybe 15 minutes before it got louder and louder and finally it just lost power and seized up leaving me on the side of the road.

:frowning:

sounds like my oldsmobile quad 4 pete pos he vid of my airplane car :rofl

:Idiots:Idiots:Idiots:retardclap:retardclap:retardclap