Subwoofer issues

Okay so last night, i had the subs cranked listening to Gorillaz.

I noticed the backlight on the deck was dimming with each bass hit. Then Poof, no more bass.

I checked the fuses.

The inline fuse in the engine bay, between the battery and the amp was blown, but not only that it was bulged and melted, so i pulled it out in 3 peices with pliers.

Today I replace the fuse with the same amperage level(30) and now my subs are louder than they were before.

What would cause the amp to not only blow but melt and bulge.

I am running approx 75watts RMS, should my deck light be dimming like that.

If this is in the wrong area mods please move.

Thanks in advance.

Too small of wire? Dieing battery? Shitty alternator? Bad or goin deck light?

wire is 8 guage, its fine, battery should be ok, alt should be ok

hmmm…too small fuse?

30 amps for 75watts rms should be plenty

anyone?

Look for a chaffed power wire, and check the required fuse rating for the amp.

your amp was drawing too much power for the 8ga and a faulty fuse probly played apart

The amp has a 25 amp fuse built into it.

Im thinking a faulty fuse since that is where all the power bottlenecks.

8 guage should be plenty of wire for the power im running.

I will check the power wires later to see if theres any stripped sheilding

A loose or corroded connection will cause it to draw more current then it needs.
To pull 20+ amps your connections need to be very clean and TIGHT.
Check the fuseholder and make sure the connections there are good and its not a piece of shit.

Fuseholder was partially melted in the epic failure of the fuse, the subs are now working and a lot louder than previously.

I will check the connections at the fuseholder and at the amp and secure everything.

Poor connection, or a potental short. Shouldn’t be drawing anywhere near that amount of current unless you have some insanely inefficent amp at that wattage. Or something else running on that circuit.

Its an independent circuit.

I will have Dried check things over when hes installing the new box this weekend.

yea the fuse amps rating sounds about right for the power your pushing…usual rule of thumb that ive heard is the amount of amps the fuses on your amplifier are using (say its 3 - 30 amp fuses) you want to pair it with the same or a tad bit higher amp rating for the in-line fuse…using 3-30 amp fuses, use a 100 amp fuse under the hood…if the battery and alt. are fine then idk…what kind of amp/sub setup are you running??

There is a 25 amp fuse on the amp. Im running a 30 amp inline fuse.

Batt and alt are fine, checked them with volt meter.

Running the MTX road thunder kit, 2 12"s, and 37 watts RMS per sub. Small stuff but its been enough for a while

How are your speakers wired? It’s pretty easy to over draw an amp. Most amps become much less efficient as they’re over amped but will continue to operate until they overheat. Some amps, especially smaller amps can run at 2-4 times capacity before they get hot enough to shut down. Are your speakers in wired in parallel through a single channel?

The other thing that could cause those conditions is a poor battery connection, or a poor connection on the chassis end of the ground wire from the battery. I would crank it up, and put an analog volt meter on across the lead battery connections and look for dips below 14 Volts when the bass hits. Good luck

its a 2 channel amp, 1 sub per channel.

I have the gain almost maxed. My ground wire is tiny, and hand twisted at one point behind the amp.

I will volt test it under a heavy load.

I have recreated the same situation and havent had a blowout.

hahah. Get a REAL ground wire. Ground wire should be at least the same size as the power wire and should be a good connection. Bad grounds can somtimes fry amps. Oh yeah, turn your gain down

The ground wire is probably 24 guage or some tiny shit.

And the gain is at like 90% ish

are you fucking kidding me?

Electricity works both ways. Your ground MUST ( as in no fucking exceptions) be the same size as your power wire. As much electricity or more goes through the ground then your cough “power” wire.

:fuzzyfish: