Suggestions for a good summer car

Why don’t you just tell him to get a Ford Fiesta while you’re at it?

x2

been the e36 route so many times, never mint tho.

I love LT1 power, but the car isn’t for me

Cool setup but then I still spend $14k on a 98 subaru 2.5rs

fwd economy cars are not being considered

Yes, just yes.

Even more yes.

The aero package on 996 911’s makes them look awesome and not so bubbly and cartoonish. Unfortunately it was a rare expensive option that most people know is desirable if they have it.

youve never actually owned an E36 M3 yet though, right?

do it.

8-9k 1995 M3, 1-2k in work, resell for 8-9k easy.

i think the E36 market has finally leveled off, only super shitty examples fetch under 7k, and only super clean examples exceed 10-11k.

What do you plan on doing with the car? Are you going to drag it/track it/autox it/just cruise with it?

350Z info -

If you want a high hp fast car at the track, then you need to drop around $10-12k on a TT kit and a built block. Most people who boost on the stock bottom end blow them up around 350-400whp. If they do run there they never run for very long. Once built, there are a bunch in the US running 450-600+whp, but I don’t think they are reliable as a comparable Mustang or Vette. And for $15k you’d get a fast Mustang if you wanted.

Bolt-ons only get you to around 280-290whp. Coilovers and sways aren’t badly priced. BBK’s run 3-4k for all 4 corners. ECU reflash 500-1k depending on whats done. Stock they are pretty reliable, at least IMO.

Thanks for the information.

Any idea how they compare to other sports cars in their class for handling and grip? What about stock braking performance (either base or track package with brembos)

no never an e36 m3. I’d rather have e36 shell with an s54 plopped in though.

They actually handle quite well. The Z is and always has been more of a track and cornering car than a balls to the wall 1/4 mile burner.

You can pick up a 350Z for a really good price, but if you have the money, I’d say get a 370Z and be done with it. They’re shorter, lighter, and more powerful. I figure if you’re looking at an M3, you can afford a new or slightly used 370Z anyhow.

we could probably make that happen for around 15k, but it would be sketchy :frowning:

which brings us back to a swapped e30

So e30 w/ $14k in mods is out of the question? :lol

Akira made some good points about the 350Z… I’ve driven a couple of them and they are not exactly “tossable” from the factory. Not the fastest things either given the 3400 lbs but they do have a decent amount of torque and there is a nice aftermarket.

I did not drive it hard enough to really test out the brakes as I was on the street (weak sauce I know), but when I was kind of looking into 350Zs a few years back I remember reading that the non-track versions would fade easily.

With all the time you spend on the track I’m sure you want a car with quick reflexes and steering- here the S2k would be a lot nicer pick than the 350Z if you are talking bone stock versus bone stock or slightly modded…

You can always do suspension on any car of course, but the steering feel and/or ratio is something you can’t change (well, not easily at least)… Here the S2k probably wins. I don’t remember anything special about the 350Z steering.

There are nice AP1s (1st gen S2000s) on S2ki with decent mods for well under $15k, even with a hardtop. You can probably even get an AP2 that’s close to stock for near that price.

AP1 has no options for tire sizes… look into 17" rims to run a wider / better tire or go with an AP2.

Here is your s2000 buyers guide… lol

To me, theres only three things to actually take note between the model years. 2000 - 2001 has the plastic rear window… garbage. The center console is also wrapped in carpet. I am not 100% of the year where they switched the center console to leather, but it looks a lot better. Mines a 2003… leather center console.

2002+ has glass rear window… good way to go. Watch out for the soft tops… and the straps. Very common to have issues. Theres a lot of thoughts / ideas on s2ki to fix this prior to having issues. Top issue = all year s2000’s

Anything 2003 and older has 16" rims…

2004+ is ap2… 8grand redline, shorter gearing, facelift for exterior and interior, 17" rims, wider rims… better tire selection available.

2006+ has roll over hoop speakers, drive by wire throttle, vsa… and different rims than the 2004-2005.

Note: AP2 retainers are stronger than AP1… an issue with ap1 can lead to cracked retainers… overrev, etc. Also the s2000 is a great car to just get in and drive right from the factory… a lot of “mods”… suspension / springs… shit like that can actually hinder the performance of the s2000s handling. So watch out for that… even gc/koni combo is debateable…

They’re kind of apples to oranges, IMO. An S2000 has absolutely no torque and no low end power, but kills it in the high RPMs, handles like it’s on rails, and is very light. On the other hand, the 350Z has gobs of torque, a ton of low end power, but tends to end up wheezing out in the higher power band. It’s a pig compared to the Honda as well, but surprisingly handles well anyhow.

S2000 is a very fun car, learn the power first… then worry about 1000whp.

the only thing E30s are good for are making loud noises when they hit the bottom of a long cliff.

+1… But OP already has a track background and car control skills…

Roger that. :thumbup

Cadi CTS . Period

Yea, I saw one today with a hot ass girl in the passenger seat. Car sounded mean. Can be had for low 20s as well.

Low 20’s for the V? Maybe I need to look at one of them myself.