Summer START @ Dunnville Review / Pic's / Vid's / Thank You Thread!

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51183

Wait so what happened to your clutch and brakes?!?!

Edit: Oh and how did your powersteering hold up lol

MUWAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAA should be 6500.

I was running all day yesterday on Advance Auto’s “Friction Master Ceramic Brake Pads.” They held up alright…but they weren’t perfect. For the next trackday, I am going to hopefully have my braking system completely revised, with Slotted Rotors, HP+ Pads in front/rear, and some stainless steel braided brake hoses, and of course not to mention, some ATE Super Blue fluid to run thru them. At this point, the car should be practically bulletproof. It’s brakes were its only weakness out there.

RE brakes, I DO NOT RECOMMEND a “first time on better than stock / street pads” person try and bias the car w/ different pads front and rear. The irony is the newer / greener you are the harder you are on brakes, I cooked a set in ONE day (not even a full one, 3 sessions) at Lime Rock, now I can get a whole weekend out of a lesser-performing set…

I’d suggest HP+ all around for n00bs OR if you want a dedicated track pad, Hawk Blue. Anything > HP+ will destroy it self on the street due to excessive heat-cycling (you’re using frictive force not adhesive aka you’re not getting it hot enough to deposit a thin film onto the rotor and just using the abrasive nature of the material to slow the car). Anything more than Blues will be tough to deal with re: release characteristics (HT10s are amazing but you can really get into trouble trail-braking with them if you don’t know how to feel what is going on).

Better upgrade is stainless lines (pedal feel, very important) and most importantly, GOOD fluid (something with better-than-550-600 boiling point IMO) - just keep in mind the better the fluid’s boiling point, the more hydroscopic (likely to absorb water) it is. So you have to change it more frequently. I use RBF-600, its fucking PRICEY, and I do a full flush before track weekends and a bleed between days if its a 2+ day event. Probably overkill for most people on here - however, as much as people rave about ATE Superblue (or Typ-200) I’d suggest “if you can afford track days fucking sack up and buy better” - the ATE stuff isn’t that great when it comes to boiling (ask Silver how that was at her first Dunnville day w/ STREET pads!) - Brembo sells fluid (not sure who makes it for them, but its overpriced imo) and there a few others, don’t cheap out.

Overall I think things were run REALLY well, seemed like our busiest / biggest event up there, gotta work on the flagging - I wasn’t in the drivers’ meeting as I was manning the gate but my understanding is either the explanation wasn’t clear or NOBODY got it. I eventually told Brent / Adam etc to use a Red+Checker to signifiy “caution, something wrong, pit in” but really thats a “Black Flag All” - or, as MPD was doing, full-course Yellow - there wasn’t a reason to pull everyone in most of the time (unless the truck had to go out). I’d be glad to help “co-chair” flagging next time I’m up (not sure WHEN I’ll next be up) and hell, if we could get 2 radios and a 2nd set of flags, it would REALLY help to put one at turn 4-ish since most people don’t look up / ahead / around enough to see what’s going on at pit-out until it is WAAAAAAY too late.

There were times I had no idea there was a caution flag when heading the opposite direction on the track…

There was a time where Red Flag and Black Flag came out at the same time…as i was starting up the front straight, so i railed on my brakes, to avoid having a accident with a parked FD on the front straight. Then I was told to pit cause my brakes were smoking. LOL yea…that what happens. The flagging was a bit shadey at times. And I dont remember learning about a Blue Flag. I saw that too.

The proper brake fluid plays a huge roll in this as well… Get some Super Blue from Mike at Innovative and you should be all set…

Smaef

Thanks for the information. Do you remember what it runs price wise?

Oh, and I LOVE your car. Sorry to hear about your wheels :frowning:

It runs about $12.00 for a 1 liter bottle which is more then enough…

Messing up the wheel was well worth the fun and experience I gained from this… I can get it refinished so it’s no biggie… Looking into getting a set of OZ’s for dedicated track wheels now…

Perfect, not expensive at all.

I hear ya, I’m sure getting it refinished won’t kill your pocket TOO much. I’m also looking to get some dedicated track wheels cheap.

If you’re going to the next one, I’ll see you there!

A blue flag means slow down and pull over, you are about to get lapped by the leaders.

and, me you and the yellow s2k almost smashed into each other when that one rx7 STOPPED on the front stretch. :picard:

You were not EVER shown the blue flag. Only Dan’s cup lite car was.

The flagging (well, red flag only, which we added a checker to) had to be changed on the fly, which we notified drives of as they went out in the afternoon because clearly people did NOT listen in the morning. During the driver’s meeting we clearly stated that Red flag means come to a controlled, slow speed (not stop, which is what it usually means) and make you way around the course AT A CRAWL making sure there are no obstructions and return to pits. This was ONLY to be used in case of emergency or extreme debris on the track. Unfortunately we had to change it to a variety of things due to people not listening. We also 100% need more people to work, and as much as I’d like to have a second flagging station on radios it’ll never work with Justin, Mike, Rick, Brent, Adam, and I doing the flagging. We’ll need to double the amount of people.

Blue flag is be aware you are being passed, which was only used for the Cup Lites car due to it’s limited rear visibility.

Sorry to hear about your clutch, maybe that’s why I kept missing third in it :rofl: That car definitely rocks. With some more aggressive brake pads, it’ll be a whole new world. I agree with Dmoffitt that you should use the same pads up front as you do in the rear.

She pulls!

:lol: I have to assume that’s when I almost lost it coming through T1 into T2 wayyyy to hot in 3rd gear and locked the brakes up a bit as the rears are definitely race rubber in that pic. Thanks for the photo Mike! That was definitely a seat of the pants save.

Re: brake pads/fluids: Read Moffitts post, I agree with that. First Dunnville day I was on stock pads and stock fluid. Boiled over not even halfway through the event, came through turn two with the brake pedal to the floor… not a fun feeling. Second Dunnville I had replaced the rotors (needed to badly), super blue, and HP+'s. There was absolutely no reason for me to upgrade to Hawk Blues at that point as I wasn’t driving hard enough to need them. Now that I’ve done like 4 or 5 Dunnville days at several days at another track, the Blues were definitely needed. I would also not start tweaking with different brake pads until you have a much better feel for the car, the track, and what the car feels like while ON the track, and can identify, while driving, where exactly you need more or less pad. You aren’t going to feel that your first, second, or maybe even third time out.

re: Flags: Next time I can definitely help flag, so long as we have enough people that we get rotated out so I can continue to drive. I just don’t want to get stuck there for several hours and miss my sessions :frowning: But seriously, no matter WHAT you were told in the drivers meeting, your common sense should say that if it’s not a green flag, they are trying to give you a heads up about SOMETHING. So bring the speed down some, work on your line for a lap, and give a heads up to what the other drivers are doing. Common sense should tell you to never stop on a race track. Or, if a flag is thrown and you don’t know what it is, it’s YOUR responsibility to pull it in and go ASK.

at the end of the day when we were doing burnouts the clutch decided it didn’t want to grip anymore. It had a slight slip at higher rpm’s and 4 burnouts in a row didn’t help. My brakes were fine, they are just worn out. The powersteering boiled over so I might see about better fluid and a good flushing.

thanks Buddy!!

Sure did, lol

Everyone that came out from Swerve says thanks! We had a great time and will be back!