Supercharged LT-1?

I have to rebuild my old and tired LT-1 and I was thinking about puting a supercharger on it. Does anyone know what the compression ratio should be around? The heads are 58cc and I don’t know what pistons to get.

*PM rskrause… i think he’s running a blower on his LT1 camaro

I’ve already gone thru that process, so let me know if you have questions. The compression ratio you want will depend on the amount of boost you plan on running. Lower boost = higher compression, higher boost = lower compression, etc. So it depends on what your plans are.

:word:

you need to figure out just what your goals are and then base ur build on that. you also need to consider how much money you want to spend because it’s obv not goin to be cheap if u want a decent setup.

how much power are u looking for from this?

go with lower compression right off the bat. when ur blown, its not like .1-.5 or more points of compression will make a difference. take detenation right out of the question. DO NOT TRY TO MAKE EVERY POINT OF COMPRESSION POSSIBLE…cuz the gains will NOT be noticable, and ALL it does is bring you CLOSER to detenation.

i would go no more than 8.7:1 for a blower car

You will need between 19-20cc dish with a stock stroke 3.48" to achieve around 9.0:1 static compression ratio. I would recommend ~9.0, getting +.020" instead of .030" to keep some cylinder wall thickness. Everything will depend on how much money you have to spend, and how much power you are looking to make.

Right now i’m looking at the powerdyne supercharger kit(4.5 PSI), or the vortec supercharger kit(6-7 PSI of boost). I couldn’t find out what comes with the powerdyne kit yet, but I did see that the vortec comes with new ignition, fuel pump… the whole nine yards, so i’m leaning more towards the vortec right now.

powerdyne is poop…do not get powerdyne

from what ive seen procharger provides the cleanest, most complete, and high power delivering setups

i was about ----->l l<------ this close to ordering a procharger myself this year

Thats kinda what it looked like to me to, what have you heard about the vortec?

Not 100% true. The powerdyne is not a bad blower for an extra 75-100 rwhp. They run very cool and have almost no maintainence. However they are far from a high horsepower race blower.

The Vortech is a nice kit also however they produce hot air when pushed hard and the aftercooler systems make them more expensive than other intercooled kits on the market

I would suggest an ATI/Procharger kit. On street driven applications they make the most power and come complete with everything including a FMIC or dual side mounts.

Whats about the price for something like that :snky:

Chris, if you are thinking about a SC, think well past the SC kit and pistons. Think pistons, rings, rods, main studs, head studs, gaskets, fuel pump, fuel injectors, SC kit, machine work, etc etc. And while you are there, it might as well be a stroker, get some head work, etc etc :wink: All so you can fry the clutch and pop the 10 bolt :tup: The rebuild is a given if you want to go FI.

Ive had a blower and bottle for my LT1 and blower for my LS1, so if you have any Qs, let me know. Easier to explain everything you will run into in person.

Its not tired at all motor and car was strong… Just should only have to be built for power…

I need to rebuild the motor because of the ring blow by, the car is burning oil like crazy (not just on start up, so its not just the valve seals), and also has a rear main seal leak, so i figured that I would save up my money and build a forged short block so if I wanted to run nitrous or a blower I wouldn’t have to worry about it later on. And the 383 is sounding like a good idea because i’m gonna have to bore the block anyways and put oversized pistons in it so why not go .030 over and get the new crank and rods.:slight_smile:

puft…i bet i consume more oil :stuck_out_tongue:

383 is a great way to go, and so is nitrous. Id like mine even more if I hadnt gotten fucked on my heads, so I guess I can tell you what does and doesnt work for these :wink:

I seriously hope you aren’t talking about the heads Bill did for you

It comes down to your power goals and budget you have to build the engine. What are you goals?

I’m looking for a good street/strip motor, something with nice power but I also don’t want to be breaking or overheating everyday, i’m basically just using the car when it’s nice out. I usually drive it to the track to make a few passes or drive it to a cruise night… so what i’m trying to say is that its not my daily driver.

thats because its in super nice shape… sounds like youre doing your research chris i get first ride when its all done