suspension help

i have an 07 balt i want to put racing suspension. Cant seem to locate somewhere to buy a full set up. I want it to be able to tear anything up after its done springs shocks sway bars whatever it takes any advice help an or can you do it?

We can install it all no problem. I will look around tomorrow for parts and give you some options and prices. Is this an SS? Racing as in what kind?

What type of racing?

Be prepared for $5k+ dampers (shocks) for real “racing” parts.

… tear anything up?

http://www.ottperformance.com/store/pc/OTTP-Delrin-Stainless-Leading-CA-Bushing-41p1224.htm

http://www.ottperformance.com/store/pc/Pedders-SportsRyder-XA-Coilovers-37p90.htm

http://www.ottperformance.com/store/pc/Steering-Rack-Spacers-42p87.htm

http://www.ottperformance.com/store/pc/Eibach-Front-Rear-Sway-Bar-Kit-40p99.htm

http://www.ottperformance.com/store/pc/Powergrid-Sway-Bar-End-Links-40p92.htm

these parts should take care of your “racing” set up for now

hey it’s only $2,100 for just the parts on a full “street” setup

Raceland has race in the name though!!

+rep brew! Thanks for the leg work! :slight_smile:

OP The parts listed above are good stuff. That would get the car handeling great for sure. If you are looking to do front and rear coilovers, front and rear sway bars with end links and bump-steer blocks I will look up the labor and get back to you with a PM for my labor quote.

Establish a solid budget for parts. A complete coilovers setup for only $1,300 prolly doesn’t have the greatest components. If they’re claiming that those have adjustable rebound and compression for that price, theyost definitely aren’t great quality. Chances are the dampers themselves are standard K-Sport/BC/Megan pieces with mounts for the Cobalt.

Mike and CRC would definitely do a great job of installing, but I highly recommend establishing a solid part budget and researching what others are using on their Cobalts. No matter what you won’t be tearing anything up on the street because there’s always better drivers with bigger budgets. Also look into auto crossing to enhance your skill, as that’ll make a much bigger difference than any suspension piece ever will.

Sincerely,
Someone who knows a thing or two about suspensions and has a lot of track experience.

cossey, the pedders coilovers have been proven in the community for years now… they are the top choice for the guys running weekend autocross events and weekend track days.

sure they are not the highest end system in the world, but unless this car plans on becoming a full time weekend only car with a ton of track time a year. these coilovers will be a great choice for budget and reliability…

From what I’ve read, the Pedders are just rebranded BC coilovers, and not their better offerings. Good for budget, but nothing I’d use on anything more than a street only car. They’re made in the same exact factory as Megan coilovers in Taiwan.

Depending on budget since I know from this kids post he won’t be tracking the car, I’d just get some KW V2s so you can get decent ride quality.

Why $4000 worth of suspension under a chevy cobalt?

BECAUSE RACECAR!

Money isn’t an issue I spend to much anyway with 2 cars a bike anything else I deem nessacary ik it’s not a race car I just basically want no body roll sharp handling anything on the street I could tear up if you get what I mean it doesn’t needto be some crazy race car stuff. But say how good a porche or somthing handles an keeps to the ground is what I’d like bc I like fast corners. An such. No knowledge on suspension just want an know I need it bc the body roll is redic on the Balt

to be honest with you, if price isn’t a huge issue for you, i would say the money you plan on putting into the “race setup” should just go towards a good down payment on a better car with a better chassis from the start.

the cobalt has a huge issue with the fact that it’s got a rear beam style suspension. it’s very limited and very pricey to “adjust” it correctly to make it a very capable platform. look at something that has got a fully independent suspension both front a rear to allow for you to get the “Porsche” like handling your looking for.

just my .02, but i have a lot of years of playing with that suspension, and i feel like what your asking for is much easily achievable with something thats not a balt.

We cant re-engineer the cobalts suspension to act like a rwd sports car… but putting the best quality adjustable dampers on at all 4’s, ditching the noodle stock swaybars for thicker adjustable ones, and correcting the bumpsteer from lowering it will make a night and day difference.

PM me, and we can go over it all and go from there. Is this an SS or an LS btw?

As Brew said, if money isn’t an option (but in actuality it is, because if it wasn’t an option we wouldn’t be talking about modifying a Cobalt), get a new platform like a BMW M3.

Some times you gotta realize you can’t polish a turd. I used to heavily track my Subaru Legacy, but that car started to hit a dead end when I realized no high-end suspension manufacturers made suspension setups for the car. Then I switched to a car that had a much better aftermarket track following and the world has been better since.

Keep in mind when I say high-end, I am talking $2,500+ for just a set of dampers, meaning no mounts or springs included. I’m talking companies like JRZ, Moton, Motion Control, Penske, AST, etc… Bilstien, KW, Ohlins, etc… are not even high-end in my book.

With all that said, you will not be tearing anything up on the street since there’s only so much a street car could do, and that is even less when it’s a FWD car like the Cobalt. Get a new platform before dumping a cent into the car. You want to make your front engined, FWD car handle like a rear engined, RWD car. It’s not going to happen unless you’re in reverse.

Definitely understand both sides on this one. With me dumping lots of money into my last car (cavalier) and people telling me to just wait till I have something better… I didn’t listen untill the day I finally realized what I was doing was a waste and parted out… Granted now I’m in a better platform but still not what I actually wanted or want. A good set of drop springs and sway bar upgrades will make you a much happier driver. But you need to realize that no matter what you do to try and make it something it’s not… It’ll always be a cobalt. And I mean no disrespect in that

Mike call me if you need on this.
I dont agree with all thats been offered,
27 years of building and racing cars does that.
I know how to make the SS rail!
DC

Ya I hurt myself tendon damage in my knee from football. But ya I should probobly get a new car I was thinking a new wrx sti I really like those I don’t know if that’s a good platform. A new m3 would stretch my budget with everything. I just really wanna fix the Balt up so it’s as nice as it could be. Thank you for all the help guys an opinions. I answerd you pm!

Yes it is a Balt but I personally really like them. Set of springs sway bars was more my thinking a really good set night an day difference but it’s never going to be a porche.

Got your PM and replied too.

thanks buddy