switch out r/f package sub for better one

im sure someone has done this so… lend me some knowledge.

i want to take out my r/f sub and box in the trunk and put a better one in, the only thing is i dont know how many watts that sub is, and how many watts the amp can take! im sure its only an 8" no more than 300 watts, i think that whats the package is, so does that mean the sub is 300 watts, and that the amp can take a 300watt sub?

also the wiring… i havent look at it yet, but can i just unplug the old sub and use the same plugs or wires for my new one? or what?

I wouldn’t use the existing wires. Just unplug the the RF sub and replace it with a aftermarket sub and amp.

You dont have to worry about the AMP doing anything bad, just your sub. Underpowering a sub can cost you in the long run. But yes it is possible although I would reccommend going with an aftermarket setup (amp/ sub) to get the best SQ.

i just dont want to blow alot of money on a sound system and amps are expensive, the sub and box is cheap haha, i just want some nice bass for cruzin, not a party mobile, i would rather but money into the engine.

does anyone know how many watts that amp and sub is so i can just change the sub and get one with similar watts but better quality, so its not underpowered.

OK… If you have no money to put into it it’s going to sound like asss… The stock output is going to sound like ass. It’s not ment to be a “SUB” output… There isn’t a good X-over on the Stock amp and if you’ve noticed that sound comes out of the sub… I’m not sure how to say this but if you don’t want to spend money on it it’s not going to be much better buy switching in another sub… I’d be surprised if it could power a decent sub.

thats what i needed to hear, i figured i would just get a better quality sub for a lil better bass sound, but if it does nothing then ill wait till i can do the whole system.

im sure i can get everything for fairly cheap my bud works at best buy, and he gets like 50% off car audio

I bet if you tossed in an aftermarket deck you’d be surprised at how much better it sounds over the RF one. The extra power and better equalizer will do quite abit in cleaning up the sound and making it louder. Ryan’s car sounds pretty good for having all the stock subs/speakers and an aftermarket deck, I think that’s all he had. I never heard mine fully hooked up with my aftermarket deck as the guy who had the car before me fucked with all the amp hookup wires too much that I couldn’t get to em to decipher em… (He had I think 16 rolls of electrical tape wrapped around em…)

Yeah if you want to hear mine let me know… I will gladly come buy and show you… It’s about 40 times better than that POS sitting in your car right now… Make sure it’s hooked up right…

alright ill just start with the deck and ill see what happens, i dont need any wiring right, just take RF one out and put new one in right?

any brands that are good in general for your money?

I needed a wire harness and a dash adapter. I bought an antenna adapter also, but it wasn’t needed. I got all 3 of these from best buy for 40-50$ or something. Minus the antenna adapter prob 35$ can’t exactly remember exactly how much it all was… But yea seriously man, anything will sound better those RF decks are POSes. I’ve heard Pioneer decks put noise into the speakers which you can hear at low volumes. I’ve never owned a Pioneer deck so I can’t personally tell you about it… Just things I’ve read. If you have any questions about Car Audio go to www.caraudiocentral.net. Knowledgeable and very helpful bunch there. That’s where I learnt the majority of what I know about car audio.

I found this list to be a good resource to use as a rule of thumb.

thanks alot buddy, i dont know anythng about car audio eather so im going to research it too. thanks again for your help!