Swithing BACK to conventional oil from synthetic

I’ve never heard that, and it performed differently in quantitative evaluations(usually better):
http://www.trustmymechanic.com/motor-oil-bible.pdf

Okay, how about this…putting money aside would you rather go 10000 miles on full synthetic or 10000 miles with conventional oil, but changing the oil/filter every 5000 miles??? I like the thought of cheaper oil changed more often…discuss and/or prove me wrong:)

my friends father is the head engineer for northamerica of some big oil company, castrol or something i think, he knows all kinds of lubrication shit ill ask him.

Dino every 3k for a high mileage beater. The combination of uniform length molecules and detergents in synthetics tends to create leaks in high mileage engines that lived on dino oil. Dino for a low mileage beater/DD too if I don’t plan on squeezing every last mile out of the car. For a high horsepower car or car thet gets abused (i.e. racing) synthetic every 3-5k. For a car I plan on keeping a long long time and don’t abuse, synthetic every 10k.

I do 4000 mile intervals on Mobil 1.

Mobil 1 is much cheaper than motors, and the way I beat on cars I need all the protection I can get.

Could I probably go with a little more extended service since I use Mobil 1… probably. But lets say I doubled from 4000 to 8000, what would I really save per year? As I proved in my first post I’m too sick to do the math today. What ever the amount, it’s not worth it. I sleep better at night knowing I have nice fresh mobil 1 in there. And I really feel better when I’m banging shifts at redline :slight_smile:

There are a few websites that detail how pathetic it is, go to Google. Plus any oil with an addative to make it look purple, sorry I dont want any shit other than OIL in my OIL.

+1 for Amsoil. Use Amsoil for both the car and the bike.

3-5k ?, try 300 - 500 miles.

There are people that say that is overkill, and then there are people that preach it. The people that preach are usually more knowledgable and experienced than the guys that say its overkill…

I just do it because for 2% of the cost of a race weekend it is cheap insurance. When in Rome…

Its my understanding that mobil one isn’t really a ‘true’ synthetic anymore. All oils are formulated with some sort of fairly standard base stock. Mobil one is now on a group III base stock which is a further refined mineral oil. There is some FTC law that still allows it to be called synthetic. Its still a good oil but not technically synthetic.

Amsoil and older formulations of mobil one are true synthetics With PAO or group IV bases. Redline is a group V ester base.

Check out http://bobistheoilguy.com/ for all you could ever want to know about oil.

I Use amsoil in my car and leave it for about 10k miles…95% of my driving is extremely easy. They claim its good to 25k but that seems a little outrageous.

For some reason I think that you know what you are talking about :stuck_out_tongue: .

nnaaaa he just likes using fancy terms

Why waste your $$ No need for synthetic in your car. Given your driving habits, dyno oil is more than good. I run 10w-30 Castrol GTX in my SHO and always have. Regular change intervals are 2500 - 3500 miles given driving conditions. I also have an oil temp gauge and if i’m tracking the car or its seeing frequent high temps 2k. Haven’thad a problem ever. IMHO, I think changing your oil 5000 miles or more isn’t the best idea regardless of what kind of oil you use. Mine has plenty of grime in it after 3k.

He sure does, like the other day he was all like, " I’m writing a paper for tribology" :blah:

MAE 458 Tribology

Explores friction, lubrication, and wear; contact of real surfaces; mechanics of friction; surface failures; boundary lubrication; fluid properties; thin-film lubrication; thick-film lubrication; and bearing and lubricant selection.

I won’t claim to know anything too specific about motor oil, just some basic stuff. I just wanted to bring some insight to the claims of mobil one going down in quality.

Good to know. Amsoil and nothing but it is.

The factory recommended oil change interval on my Jetta is once ever 10,000 miles. Surprising, but you also have to use an oil that meets their spec. They publish new spec’s/lists of oils that meet their specs every couple of years. I wonder if M1 still meets it?..

This is getting a bit too complicated…since I can’t make up my mind what to run I think I’ll just not use either one:)

another vote for amsoil here :tup:

I got a tip from someone in the oil business to check out Valvoline VR1, in the 20W50 flavor. After my rebuild (and nothing but straight 30 weight cheapo oil) I went straight to the VR1. Oil pressure is better at the end of a track session (20-30 minutes) than with the latest formulation of Mobil 1 15W50. 3 bar on throttle vs. 1.5 bar, and this season I’m going a little faster :wink:

The only reason I run Amsoil in both of my cars is due to the fact that I drive a lot, therefore don’t want to change my oil every month and a half. I go every 10K on the TDI, and once a year on the Audi, since I usually don’t drive it 10K in a year and the NA 10V 5 cyl is pretty much bulletproof.

Mobil1’s syn is not a true syn…there only true syn is the 0w30 …anything above that is just a re-worked minera basedl oil`