Tailpipe A/F on the dyno for tuning?

Obviously a wideband is best.

But will a tail pipe sniffer give you a decent ball park on the dyno?

is it a straight pipe exhuast?

No

then I would think that’s Your answer. I’m thinking that any obstructions (cat & muffffffler) would change the nature of the exhaust. Maybe not much, but enough that it’d be a waste of a dyno run.

But, again, I don’t know shit.

-Nick

Yeah, tail pipe sniffer will tell you your CO2 percentage and stuff but isn’t as fast as a Wideband and it’d be way too hard to tune anything.

Not for tuning, just to get an idea of where things are over the run.

Yeah I hear ya but usually you need to hold the gas @ a certain RPM for a few seconds before the meter can calculate whats going on, they’re not that fast and on the dyno you can’t hold it @ a certain RPM.

Just curious why many dyno places offer them if they aren’t really usable :shrug:

Normaly you want to have the wideband before the cat for the most acc. reading. Now This is some info that I read from a wideband builder/distributer.
Granted this isnt directly to your question but it is about having a wideband after the cat.

It is ok to mount the sensor after the cat. The AFR readings should be the same but you may experience a little bit of latency (lag) between applying the throttle and a change in AFR readings. (maybe 200 ms rather than 100 ms I’m guessing).

The instructions recommend 24" away from the engine or turbo because of heat issues. If you can confirm that your EGT is no higher than 850 C at any time you can install it precat. Temperatures over 850 C may cause sensor failure so proceed with caution.

Most of them offer wideband tail pipe sniffers…

Ok, so then… wideband tail pipe sniffers :shrug:

Sounds like the lag will be minimal, and should work just fine.

if there is a cat in place it will fuck up the readings

if cats dont change the a/f reading, then why would obd2 cars have a o2 after one of the cats ?

cats change the a/f ratio to the exhaust

emission sniffers go in the tailpipe, 02 sensors belong in the downpipe / testpipe

im pretty sure thats what i said

i didnt see your post , musta skipped it on accident

uuuuuhhhhhuuuuuuhh

i see how it is
:slight_smile:

fine … then how about this - your sacf settings didnt work cause the eclipse needs an FPR, so ive decided that everything you say is wrong, even if i repeat after you your wrong and im right

kk ? thanks for p[layin :slight_smile:

lol

how low did you end up having to go with the fuel pressure anyways?

last time i was on the dyno my aem in the exhaust and the tailpipe wideband were identical readings

Are you running a cat?