Taking apart my Mac Mini

Ok. I got the cover off of it but all the video’s on youtube are with the newer mac minis. I have the first gen one that came out. Its a 1.42ghz powerpc g4 with 256mb and 80gb. Anyone know how i can get the hard drive out to see if i can get my stuff off of it? Thanks.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/Mac-Mini-PowerPC-/Hard-Drive/82/8/Page-1

It’s kind of a pain to get the shell off. When I added memory to mine I used a butter knife because I didn’t have a putty knife.

i got the cover off no prob. just trying to get at the hard drive now lol

Its real easy. Its just four screws on each corner of the assembly, then the whole thing comes off as one piece. Take the three screws on the fan out, and you can access the four HD screws. Slide it out and pop a new one in.

You need to upgrade the RAM, 256 is pathetically poor. Put 1GB in there and you could overclock it to 1.64 ghz, maybie a little more if you think you can solder.

The thing is though I want to try and get anything off of the hd if i can. Im not looking to fix it.
And I can only find 3 screws. Is one hidden?

Ok. I thought the hard drive had a usb connection on it??? How the hell do i get this shit off of my Mac Mini HD if the computer wont boot up?

nope… the hard drive is ATA so you need to get a laptop hard drive enclosure or a transfer cable. i think i even sent you links to the exact cable you need to buy before :stuck_out_tongue:

like this: http://www.xpcgear.com/ok250au2sk.html

good looks. thanks. dont know when ill be able to buy it though. lol.

keep the HDD, sell the rest of it to me on the cheap. seriously. I will buy it as long as you can ship it.

ill sell ya the whole thing once i get that shit off. Do i need to unscrew the fan to get to another screw to get at the hd?

I said in my previous post you need to remove the fan.

How is it this hard, the hard drive is secured by 4 screws… Find them.

Don’t be a prick. I asked a simple question. This is my first time taking apart a computer. Sorry!!!

lol. I wasnt trying to be a asshole, but I suppose I am.

<3?

lol. Im sorry. I forgot you posted those directions before. Friends?

haha…

Sure…