Talk to me about the MAZDASPEED 3 **UPDATE: Bought one

Gauging interest in getting a more “daily drivable” car to get around in. Wanting to do some day trips to the beach and mountains has me wanting to get something that I can pack up with gear and get around in. However, I still need to have my fun.

I don’t want to drive my xterra too much, as it is starting to get pretty beat up and I don’t feel like spending money to maintain that. Not to mention, it is the worst car for a road trip.

So I have been gauging interest in picking up a mazdaspeed 3. I am also intersted in the WRX. 5-door GTI and 4-door civic si are also in my mind. However, I am not too keen on driving a 200hp car.

I want to know everything about it and its competitors.

I thought about getting a mazda 3 wagon, but i knew if i bought the speed, i’d mod it…

I srsly :heart: my 5 door rabbit… It fits so much shit. Also it’s great on gas and is “sporty” i guess… I can only imagine the GTI is more of the latter and less of the former.

I really like the MS3.
But last I heard they were eating turbos and motor mounts…

yeah, 60 less HP than the speed3 though. I drove the speed 3 and it is A LOT of fun for a wagon.

VW cars are known for reliability issues. Am I gonna be in the shop every month? I will probably end up modding the car, and wouldn’t want warranty getting denied either.

seals in the 2007 are a known issue. Don’t know about the motor mount issue.

I wish it wasn’t a wagon…I was thinking about getting one for a DD.

I have an 08.5 and love every bit of it. I had an 05 wrx and this car has much better build quality. My only complaint so far is no AWD!

I have ~10k on mine already and no real issues. I had to have warranty replace a loose pulley that was clicking but otherwise its been great.

I happen to like that it’s a wagon. It would be too small for me without the wagon abilities. I have a strange taste in cars too.

+1

I love the way the look, I dislike the way it didn’t pull all the way to redline tho.

Yeah I have never really been keen on wagons/hatches either, but this really caught my eye.

that is good to hear!

I remember reading that soloIIscoob really liked his too

I wish I could afford the STi!!

No consideration for the new Cobalt SS? That things been getting some real good reviews and is in the same class as the cars you’re looking at.

EDIT: Nevermind, just noticed you want a wagon.

wonder how it would feel with aftermarket exhaust/intake.

I’de really like to drive a modded speed3

ughghgh

really?

its still a cobalt, and that means crappy GM/cobalt interior. One of my favorite aspects with the speed3 is the interior. everything is nicely done for the price range it is in. Nothing feels especially cheap at all.

My biggest complaint with the WRX was how shoddy everything was about it, from the paint to the interior, to the door windows, stereo etc etc etc

for the price range it is easily one of the best cars you can get. Sure go get an SRT or SS but you are just getting a neon or a cobalt…/my.02 on those cars :shudder:

1- I don’t drive Domestic cars. Call me a hater if you will, but I much prefer Jap brands.

2 - It would be pointless to go from my 350z to another 2 door car with no trunk.

I NEED the ability to fit a surfboard up to 6’1" inside the car. Not to mention, snowboards. A roof rack will likely be needed, but on a 4-door car or a hatch that wouldn’t be a problem. 2 door coupe? Idunno, would be weird with roof racks and I would be bound to using the roof racks with the boards.

are you ditching the 350z?

They are really nice cars as fit and finish goes. Pretty fast once you mod them too. My buddy has one. It moves pretty good. Just be careful if you start modding. He is already on his second stock turbo and the engine mount busted and dropped the motor on the floor once already. There are after market mounts you can get that add stability though.

Oh and the tuning for the mazda is almost non-existent. Very few options.

I love my non speed 3. Its just fun to drive IMO as a DD. Only problem with it is the horn sounds gay so its embarrassing to lock it and the engine is super quiet so with the radio on, I could be in 3rd gear going down the highway and not even notice.

I have done the intake, waiting til spring for the exhaust side of things, but even at the ~280hp that my car is producing it moves. I’d let you drive it but right now with the snow tires on i get 0 traction once it start building boost, so it would be unfair to the car