Yet ANOTHER help me decide on a new car thread

Hello Gents-

So im in the process of buying a new car, possibly looking for a “hot hatch” but open to other suggestions. I just drove the Focus ST last night and am in love with it, it was pure driving joy. My only reserve is that the recaros felt pretty snug (im 6’0 220lbs, about 36-38 waist). Now I’m coming from an econobox so the recaros could most likely just take some getting used too.

I plan on test driving a 5-door wrx, and gti as well. Anyone have any other recommendations to look at? I’m trying to keep costs around the 30k mark, but i have some wiggle room. I have about 5k-6k right now of disposable cash i can part with for a down payment.

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated! :tup:

Don’t do it. They are piles of shit. Imagine a car that sucks in every possible way and all their owners are complete douche nozzles.

Focus ST (The way chuck has set that car up is PERFECT).

Otherwise, GTi/Golf R.

Unless you like driving around in what would feel like a refrigerator on wheels, stay away from the WRX.

I would go wrx just for the awd

Mazdaspeed3 is a great car as well. Certainly worth the testdrive if you’re looking at hot hatchbacks.

So, I can assume you don’t like Volkswagens?

+1

I had an MK6 GTI and drove Beck’s Golf R, both superior vehicles. You really wont find a better interior for the price. WRX’s are junk in my book, but thats my personal preference.

Drive the WRX, I’m only speaking from experience from owning two STi’s. I don’t know how the WRX compares “drive wise”. Chuck and the guys you’re working with at Ford should be able to get you a WRX that is on their other lot.

For buffalo living WRX

:tup:

I drove Chuck’s ST around the lot and it’s pretty solid. Build quality between the two and a WRX are worlds apart.

I haven’t been in the new ST’s but they look nice, so I couldn’t speak for those. From my understanding they finally stepped their game up. As far as everyone complaining about winters its simple, put snow tires on it and don’t be a pussy. Seriously though my FWD MK6 with snows on it was amazing and never ever got stuck, north towns/south towns/Holiday Valley area/etc NEVER.

No, I LOVE cars that are flawed from the day they are new. I mean, an overpriced hatchback Golf R that costs $40,000 should have a failing waterpump.

Also are you stuck on like off the show room floor new, there are a lot of other options if you were looking to get a car that is 1 or two years old at 30k

I can’t believe there are so many people on an automotive forum who have no idea what they want to drive.

Wow, thanks for the fast feedback guys! I will talk to chuck and see what else he may be able to grab for me to drive. He was really great to work with. I called northtown subie to try to setup a wrx test drive and got the full pressure (even though i stated I still have many other hatches to drive). Plus the dude called me “sport” and “champ”…wtf?

That ST really was such a nice ride, I just drove the stock one for a baseline, and like i said it really exceeded all my expectations. My only reserve is those seats…i just wanna make sure an hour into driving I won’t be dying. Other than that, im completely in love with it. Even my buddy who is 6’2 said he was pretty comfortable in the rear.

That’s a great point too! How could i forget the speed3. I’ll have to make sure to add that too my list as well =)

I have pretty much only had FWD cars (celica and corolla) and like GV mentioned, a solid set of blizzacks and you’re all set. So, while the AWD is a really nice feature to have, its not overly important for me. I just want to get something that will have a nice blend of sport/comfort with a dash of utilitarianism tossed in.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

Travisn, its not that I don’t know what i want to drive…its that I want to drive too many cars. I would be happy with any of the cars mentioned. There’s nothing wrong with asking for others for their feedback and personal experience.

How do you use the word “utilitarianism” and then use the wrong your instead of you’re? lol just busting chops. Hope you find what YOU’RE looking for man!

I have no issues with used cars, all of my cars to date have been used (sub 30k miles).

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

LOL great catch. I’m at work now trying to look productive and multitask. Completely missed that one haha. :tup:

Up the budget a bit and get a CPO B8 S4?

That would be pretty nice, but i don’t think i could go much more than 35k. Student loans are almost paid off, but I am saving for a house and wedding. Just a quick skim on autotrader doesn’t really yield too much in that range.

Other than autotrader, do you guys have any other great “car searching” websites?

FR-S blows all of those shitboxes out of the water.

Also you could get a pretty sweet Porsche 911 (996 era) for that price - basically indestructible cars.