Tank slapper

How do you guys deal with it?

Most of you have at least a stock damper on your bikes, the SV has zilch and with the Gsxr inverted forks, it’s never been worse.

The debate always existed on how to behave in the act, whether to death grip it, let it go and ride it out, get on the throttle, or brake.

How do you guys deal with it?

Aaron any word on the matter from instructors?

I got into a NASTY one on Washington Ave Ext last year around 40mph. I just powered through it and somehow didn’t go down. :lol The GPR stabilizer was set pretty stiff, too.

I need a stabilizer bad.

There are a few areas that almost get me everytime.

One specifically is the exit ramp from 90 to 787 south just as the exit ramp starts.

I typically try to stay as upright as possible and light grip on the bars.

lean back and wheelie.

No powa :frowning:

I was playin.

My KTM625 didnt have a stabilizer and the front end was light, really light. if you were to try to change lanes and hit an expansion bump or something it would shake about 3 times and mellow out fine. def was someting you had to watch out for.

or around a turn with a good sized bump or divit it would do it and grab your attention fast.

I am used to dirtbikes too, everytime I ride or race I get a tankslapper or two that make you poop yourself sometimes. all it takes is you on the gas, slight lean and something to kick your front tire to the wrong side of the lean and it goes nuts.

All I do is shift my wieght back and pinch the seat/frame with my knees and stay on the gas steady or with a slight increase. I just try to shift the weight off the tire more than it already is, so as it thrashes around it has less of a chance to really catch traction and shift the bike around.

If you ride dirtbikes hard you get alot of great recovery skills and feel on a bike. Its all muscle memory, the more times you get into the situation and recover the less you have to “think” about it and your body just does it.

My F4i doesn’t have one ethier. I hammer it.

squid. :lol

honestly get one. the $400 is well worth it. Some things in life you should never cheap out on. Motorcycles better be on the top of the list.

this isnt focused at you my friend. / so dont get bent. lol

I just cant see how people nickle and dime for tires, chains, sprockets, brakes, or get shit aftermarket stuff for their bikes. One crash, even a 30mph low side you will walk away from will cost 10 times the money to fix, than what it would have taken to maybe keep it from happening.

got a real bad one on my bike bought my ohlins damper that week

Never experience an actual tank slapper on a somewhat big bike with no damper, street or track. If your bike have inherent problems with suspension/geometry or an issue with the rider, a steering damper won’t do much; even worst is it being wrongly adjusted.

One more note, death grip never makes anything better when riding. Bikes buck and wobbles to straight themselves out; they crash because 99% of the time the rider is trying to stop them from doing it.

Yeah it depends on the bike big time I guess. Like you said the bike will naturally keep from going too crazy. Thats why I mentioned riding MX bikes, they dart all over the place all day long. Once you get comfey with it going where it wants to, you loosen up your riding style a ton, and build muscle memory for different senerios.

Look into the “Z” riding style for bikes. it talks about using your bodies core strengths to controll the movements of the bike. It seems a bit goofy when you first learn it, but once it becomes second nature, you will see your lap times drop, and your stamina increase a ton. Its very interesting.

My twofiddy never gets them :ponder

I put 20 miles on my bike this year so I’m not worried about it :lol I’ve also gone down on rocks at 70mph. Hurts like a son of a bitch.

i dont have one, i got it a few times bad coming down from a wheelie, i stayed on the throttle and held on and she came out of it. left a 40 some foot squiggly patch of rubber from the front tire lol

Ive rode a lot more MX than road bikes. But the general idea is that same. Get on the gas, take bike/your weight off the front tire/profit.

I put a new tire on the front of my SM. Aparently the tube had a slow leak. got on it the next day, warmed it up, took it a little slow then hit my wheelie road to work and sent it up. front tire stopped in the air like it usually does when you wheelie for a mile. went to put it down and i could feel the rim bottom out, shit went nuts and did the same thing u did. I went back and there was a giant foot ball shaped skid from putting the wheelie down then looked like someone took a big sharpie and drew a tail on it. lol

Yep, rocky trails and shit will get you good at letting the bike ride where it wants to go. catch a nice 4 inch tall rock on the side of a tire when your leaning will send you. fun shit isnt it.

no shit that musta sucked. yeah i love when the front tire stops moving, seem like that makes it worse

Yeah the little poof of smoke onlookers how dont know wheelies dont get it.

infront of my house last year there musta been about 40 football shaped rubber markes and about 100 black streaks from backing it into my driveway every time I came home. lol

LMAO thats awesome, i love the big poof of smoke i get when setting down a wheelie and its always great when you know it was a good one to turn around and go look at your nasty mark you left with the front tire hahahaha.

Ive never been in this situation, but have been told to hammer on the throttle. It makes since when you think about it, less weight on the tire will make it easier to control, but luckily I have never had to test this theory.