Tax people, PLEASE come in here

This is going to sound really bad but…Ive never filed my taxes. Im 22 yrs old and since I was 18 my parents told me that I didnt need to file so I didnt. With recent developments in my relationship with my family, Ive been thinking about weither or not they were giving me good advice or if they were being deceptive.

So my question is, What do I do? I still have all of my W2’s since I started working but Im not sure what my next step should be. Should I just walk into H&R Block and lay everything out on their desk and just have them figure it out? Can I collect for the years past? Someone please hold my hand and tell me what I need to do because I know NOTHING about taxes.

edit: My parents havent claimed me as a dependent since I was 17.

oh. my. god.

maybe you should… file taxes.

oh my god. again.

/thread.

what were your parents doing as far as filing their taxes? My parents have always gotten my taxes done for me. Maybe they have been filing them for you and not telling you?

lol judging by his “relationship with family has changed, i think they were deceptive”… i dont think thats the case lol

id file this years and just say fuck the rest because you’re too late to file for previous years, and you better just hope that somehow all those years slipped thru the cracks. Start fresh this year, file, and continue to do so.

If you really are that concerned, my mom does taxes. PM me and if need be, im sure she’ll do them for you for less than HRblock.

Bad advice. The IRS doesn’t care if you slipped thru the cracks all those years, if they catch you and you owe they’ll make you pay and then some. It’s not too late, you can file back taxes. You should at the very least go through everything you have and see if you would be getting some refunds from those years, it might be worth your time…

FPMITAP

Spring for an accountant and talk to them. You don’t have to have the accountant DO them for you (they are probably simple enough for you to take care of yourself or with Turbo Tax, etc), but they will know the best course of action.

Don’t just assume you can ignore it and move on, it could cost you down the road.

Go directly to jail, do not collect $200.:nono:

maybe they claimed him until he was 21 and living at home going to school, or he made such little money that he didnt need to file.

Your parents can legally claim you until you are 21. You still should have filed taxes and put a check next to the box that says along the lines of [I am claimed as a dependent on someone else’s taxes].

You are going to Federal Prison… ut oh.

How much money did you make on those W2’s since you were 17?

I’m going to guess you claimed single and 0 and in that case would have been entitled to a refund which since you never filed, the government just kept your money.

it depends on how much money you made each year.

dont go to HR block. they SUCK.

I am a CPA. take it from me. spend the money, go to a REAL tax accountant (private practice is fine), bring your w2s and all pertinent info, and have them sort it out. you might end up actually getting $$$ back. or you could owe.

GO TO A REALY CPA TAX FIRM. DO NOT GO TO HR BLOCK.

Kind of off topic but how do people get away with not paying ever?
I have read about people that never pay and claim they don’t have to.

they collect welfare their entire life?

Parents can claim you till your 22 as long as your living at home and full time in school

Hey talk to SHOtime. He can probably do them for you. He probably hasn’t seen the thread yet but I’m sure he will be willing to help.

To do this years taxes simply go to TaxSlayer (cheapest I’ve seen this year) or TurboTax and simply enter your W2 info, and bank account for direct deposit. Done.

basically what other said, do NOT just ignore it and hope it goes away…it’ll come back to bite you in the ass at the worst time!

wesley snipes?

also since the agoe of 18 and even considered a dependant on someone(unless full depandant) if you make more thatn 3k a year you need to claim taxes. More than likey you need to file for past years. Like eclipsed said, og see an accountant

My girlfriend is an IRS agent. Here is her advice:

DO NOT go to H&R Block as they will charge an arm and a leg.

Go to www.irs.gov and get the forms for past years. You can then take your W2s and the forms to your local IRS office and they will assist you for free in filling them out. If you end up owing a ton, they will set up a payment plan.

You have 3 years from the due date of a tax return to claim a refund. If the return is filed after that date and you are due a refund you lose it.

Call 961-5100 Mon,Wed until 6PM - Tues, Thurs, Friday until 4:30 to schedule an appointment for help.