TDI Timing Belt/Clutch Failure

So I ordered a new clutch recently because mine started to slip, it is en route has NOT been installed yet

Tonight I was driving, and one time when I went to take off, the car made a sound like something was clunking around, and started to shake a little bit, I immediately turned it off and pushed it to the side. I did start the car back up for a second and it did turn over.

So my question to anyone who knows about issues with clutch/timing belt, could it be as simple as a clutch failure and something is clinging around? Or may it be further related to the timing belt?

Thanks alot all input is appreciated

-Steve

EDIT: Timing belt was replaced 10-15k ago!!!

Did the engine start or did the engine just crank over but not start?

if it started its def not the timing belt

did you experence this shaking/clunking while you were letting it out fo 1st? if so, its prob your tob. replace it when you do your clutch.

you got a vr6 clutch en route right?

Carnut – The car DID start the 2nd time, thats what brings me peace of mind… It still made that hideout noise

Jam – It was making clunking noises and shuddering when I was letting out of both Reverse and First… I believe the throw out bearing should be part of the kit I bought, if not I will be sure to pick it up

thanks for the input guys its making me feel better… this all happened while delivering to a customer who said she couldnt take it, her husband and ex were fighting outside and the sheriffs pulled up all while this was happening, pretty intense scene seeing a cop come and tackle two men and cuff them, heh

def your tob, no worries

Man I hope so, lol… its the difference between already paid for, and a SHIT TON of money

You’re fine you just need a clutch, def not the timing belt

When was the last time the water pump, timing belt, and tensioner where done?

15k ago.

check your dogbone mount mounting the trans to the subframe(presuming MKIV). Those things like to fail/rip bolts out of the trans from time to time. You should be able to put your hand on top of the motor and shake it front to back, it should only move about 1/2" (also presuming stock dogbone bushings). If it moves any more, or sways freely then either the bushings need to be replaced or you have some time w/a drill and possibly helicoil’s coming up.

Yes, MKIV, and roughly 10k miles ago…

Haenszel – I will check that out when I get home, hopefully wont go as deep as that, but I have a good feeling that it is the clutch that finally gave out.

Will update progress once I get home!

well, to replace the clutch you gotta pull tha tmount off anyways, so check it out then.

My t-mount, snaped the bolts into the subframe… and wont move??

But I bet its his TOB, mine did that then the balls went into the DM and then the hole car locked up and wouldnt move…

oh and did the car throw any CEL’s?

So I just got done underneath the hood

-Serpentine belt is firm on its track
-Timing Belt is on track not damaged… I dont think its the issue but if it were slightly off track I would not have the eye to catch that
-The motor did not really move anywhere, it was firm in place.

When I turn the key forward, but not start the car, there is a CEL, but that usually happens regardless until I turn the car on.

Big sigh of relief to see that everything in the timing belt housing (appears) to be alright, knock on wood. Thanks guys

Badnewsmini - I sent you a PM