Teachers salaries

Quaker Valley is :nuts:

Neat.

I showed this to our older daughter who is thinking about teaching. I also pointed out that what you don’t see are the awesome benefits and the retirement pay.

Too bad there’s no distinction between 20 years of service for a good teacher and a crappy teacher. And let’s be honest, everyone knows who the crappy ones are. Need to take form the crappy and give to the good!

Wow a little bit too much information NJ gives out
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=DATA

not to mention how hard it is to get a teaching job

not to mention summers off

Not to mention the hassles from administration and complete disregard by current-day students, and their rebelious parents who encourage the kids to question all authority… and think their kids are never wrong.
Not to mention having a second job on weekends and summers, and lots of room mates the first few years of teaching in most districts, because you don’t really make as much in most districts starting out as the general public believes.
Not to mention the nights and weekends spent grading papers and doing lesson plans.
The full story is never told in these types of websites.

As a senior at QV… WHY is our librarian who is a total douche bag making 85k a year when some actual teachers (who do something) are making half that…

shaggy you might have had him too

Mr hollien was a cunt and was a helper librarian
him and Ms. panucci helped each other for english or whatever the fuck it was

I know Mrs benedict. thats crazy 80k for a school nurse

3 months off a year is pretty damn nice. A pension is pretty damn good too. Dealing with kids/parents isn’t fun, but you only work 9 months out of a year, you get all the kids holidays off, a few personal days and then 3 months (where you can pick up another job that you can have fun with if motivated). Teachers are part of a union, they are protected pretty well unless they do something stupid.

Oh cry me a river. Let’s all feel bad for the terrible plight of teachers. I mean they chose to do it, nobody forced them. I’m so tired of hearing about correcting tests and papers after hours. Most jobs require off-hours work, but very few of those jobs offer 3-4 months/yr of vacation (all summer, and way better holidays than the rest of us get). And when you’re done at 2:30 or 3:30, it’s really not such a freaking big deal to do a little work at night. Try working until 6, and still taking work home. Oh…you coach a sport and stay late too? Well that optional, typically pays more, and doesn’t last all year.

Teachers don’t have it all that bad. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying teachers don’t do any work, although arguably, there are plenty that do just that. And I’m sure those kids are no picnic, but we all deal with assholes at work, unfortunately the rest of us work 12 months/yr, not 8 or 9.

Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach.

I’m going to school to become a Tech Ed teacher… and i’m being taught how to “do.” :dunno:

i dunno why but i find it weird my mom’s info is up on the interweb like that

west mifflin teachers make alot

I’d like to see you try to DO what I DO.:finger:

Not crying one at all. I’m just saying that people who’ve never actually DONE something as a profession have no right to pass judgement on the profession based on perceived salary. All of our jobs have their issues, and yes, being a teacher has its perks. But if anyone wants to whine about those perks, then go to school to be a teacher.
Everyone is entitled to make what they can while they can, and for every $80k school nurse (who has probably been there forever, justifying the pay increases), I’ll show people a $26k science teacher working second jobs to survive.
I’m NOT a teacher anymore. Couldn’t stand it. It IS a rough job. And I didn’t make enough money. But my wife is a teacher, and although the summers are awesome for her, the job itself is not that great. And she works for a district that is one of the higher paying ones. But you have to look at the scale and realize that the real money doesn’t kick in until you’ve been around there 10-15 years. People aren’t walking in to $80k jobs. And the pay increases are in line with pay increases per year of most 9-5 jobs out there that require the same amount of education and certification to perform.
The health insurance rocks, though, for sure. I work in health care and use my wife’s insurance instead because her’s is better.

I always liked this:
Teachers’ hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or 10 months a year! It’s time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - baby sit!
We can get that for less than minimum wage. That’s right. Let’s give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan – that equals 6 1/2 hours). Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children.
Now how many do they teach in day…maybe 30? So that’s $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day. However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations - LET’S SEE… That’s $585 X 180= $105,300 per year. What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master’s degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year.
Wait a minute – there’s something wrong here!
The average teacher’s salary (nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77/per day/30 students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student --a very inexpensive baby-sitter (and they even EDUCATE your kids!).
WHAT A DEAL…

there are plenty of ridiculous things that taxpayer money is spent on. This is not one of them.

Haha…i like that too :slight_smile:

i don’t think I would want to be a teacher. My sis is one - she is at work at 7am so is up way earlier then I am. She leaves work at 3:30 so longer hours then I do. Then she has to put up with the students, admin, and little or no resources for things. Sure she has 3 months off, but I get 42 days off, and plenty of sick time on top of it. Hell no would I be a teacher