techno geeky people help 60hz vs 120hz

my dads brand new smasung plazzzma has burn in issues

Alright so in a stroke of stupidity or maybe even genius i returned my Vizio LED TV, it hit me that spending that much on a vizio seemed crazy, but i did love and already miss the internet connectivity.

I said fuck it and decided to go with a plasma against my own better judgement.

Oh and quick note, whoever said they notice a difference with a gold plated HDMI cable is smoking crack.

Anyways… First i bought a Panasonic 50"… first one was defective, dident really pay attention till i got in the car but the buy brought it out sideway on a hand cart… if you know plasmas you know this is a big no no… if it wasnt 1030 PM and if i hadent already been tired from TV searcing all day I woulda flipped the fuck out… but i paid no mind till i put it in my car and he was already gone.

Got it home, defective… the phosphur was all sorts of fucked up… returned it this morning got another one… picture was clear but something about it just dident sit right with me… Went and exchanged it for a 50" samsung. Now, let me first say the picture quality on this thing is fucking amazing, can’t deny that… colors are crisp as fuck and the picture is just great.

NOW, i’m probably going to return it anyways… and not just because of this TV but every single plasma I looked at from the 500 dollar range all the way up to the 1500 dollar range all have “grey” blacks… In full screen with other things going on the blacks are superb looking, but in a movie that has letterbox and dark scenes it look washed out if you will and “grey”… and this has been the case with every plasma ive seen, i more or less atributed it to bad calibration, but i calibrated my samsung, and while with some low ambiant light its not as bad its just not there…

Im going to give it a few days and see if this is somethign I can get past for the amazing picture quality it offers… if not… theres a samsung LCD tv that looks great and had deep blacks for around the same price as this guy here.

By the way, if you want something to really show off your HDTV get how to train your dragon, probably one of the best movies ive watched on any of my HDTV’s ive had (which would be 4 differant ones in the past week) that show off colors, clarity, black levels and it just looks absolutely amazing overall.

All plasmas do to some extent, but most have settings in them that get rid of it…for the most part, if your watching a letterboxed movie, you may get some burn in of the lines where the letterboxes are, but as soon as you watch something that fills the whole screen within a few minute it should be gone.

Also until the TV has about 300 hours on it and the phosphur has time to age, its more prone to burn in, after the 300 hour mark though it should not be to much of an issue

I used to rape people on Halo for hours on end with my Panasonic plasma. There was some residual ghosting for a short period afterwards, but it went away within 20 minutes. You really have to TRY to burn something into the screen… and for what its worth, standard CRT technology has the worst burn in out of ANY technology and it was NEVER A BIG DEAL FOR ANYONE!

55" Toshiba LED / LCD.Nice… Nice Plasmas just seem even better

I have LCD and now have Plasma. Plasma ftw. 600hz native FTMFW.

IDK having both now…

Its a trade off to be honest… Plasma shows the picture for what it reall is… which well can be a good thing, or a bad thing…

For instance, watching Standard Def programming (with DirecTV) at least, looks like absoloute shit on my Plasma, where on the LCD not so bad. But in HD the plasma looks so much better than the LCD

Plasma doesnt have true motion, with a “lower” quality input such as a cable box/satellite box so Juddering is much more noticeable, where as with the 120HZ LCD with true motion turned on it brings a smoother picture (this varys from channel/channel)

LCD’s have a darker filter, meaning blacks on a quality LCD look black, liek when your TV is off, where as with a plasma, what most precieve as “black” is more like a lighter/washed out black (more so in a room with ambiant light), but Plasmas shadow detail in dark scenes is much better, and black levels stand our more and don’t wash out like an LCD due to its backlighting (unelss its local dimming)

theres a ton more…

This is my first personal plasma experiance, (not just calibrating friends TV’s) actually being able to sit down (with moer than 30 hours on this TV now) and watch it for what it is…

and its love/hate…

I will make my final judgments after I pass the 200 hour mark and the phosphor has time to age showing PQ for what it really is

YOU REALLY have to shop around with plasmas, because it seems as though their tollernce between a “shitty” plasma and a good plasma is not as great as with LCD’s… Where as with an LCD you can get away and still make out pretty good with a Mid-lower end LCD

Plasmas, shitty plasma is shit, good plasma is good… hard to find something in between