teh alternator!!

Alright I’m kind of drunk, but anyways.

If say I was to run a 600 watt RMS amp (for some subs yo) and then maybe another amp for my speakers later on, would I need to get a better alternator?

The stock one is what, 55 amps? Isn’t that really little? How much do you think I’ll need with my setup ?

Is there a place I can get a baller one for cheap?

Thanks!

Edit: Reason I ask is that I’m about to get mine fixed and don’t want to waste 100 only to realize that it’s not good enough.

The stock one is 80 amps i beleave. I use to run 2 600 watt amps off mine, and had no problem with it.

I have a quad cig lighter pwr inverter that under integration mode, supports a mutitude of items; radar det, laptop, scanner, and navi sys just to name a few. Voltmeter readings are optional.

my 1440 watt amp is a power eater and when its cranked i drop to just above 12V with just headlights on…put the fans on level 4 and im dropping into the 11’s. Its deffinatly not good for the altornator. i have two compacators as well. Id deffinatly like a better alt…but for now i took the system out and have one ten and a small sony 200watt amp. Id like to kno how much and where u can get a high performance alt.
-Devin

You can get higher amp altenators from a audio shop.

And how much would that run?

I’m just wondering if it’s better to buy one like that or just get MINE rebuilt to a higher spec.

They are not cheep, but it all depends on what amprage you want to have, i know a friend of mine payed like $250 for his

why not just get a capacitor

Ive got two, one farad each and they hardly do anything. When building a big system it all starts at the alt then the batt then you go and get caps. Or get a isolator and run two batterys. This way you have one battery for JUST your system and the other batt under the hood or where ever u may have moved it purly for the car and what ever came factory on it. Even then thats a lot of strain on the alt. From a car audio place a high performance alt i belive would run u $200+

I just went to Cdn tire and the remanuf. alternator is $230 (after you give them your old one!!). THe dealer wants $380 (!!!) for a remanuf. alternator.

And the cheapest place I found to get mine rebuilt was $120 (and thats if i take it off myself).

I’m thinking of just picking up a used one from someone on here for like 20-30 bucks…or would you guys advise against that?

go see a audio shop, to see how much a 100 to 150 amp one would be, most likey about the same price as the dealer.

My 130AMP alt was around $300

the stock one is 80 amp also,

just get a good batter and maybe some sounds equiptment that is more efficent,

you do not always need more power to have awsome sound

if you’re smart you can make a custom bracket for a nissan quest alternator and pick up one from a wrecker cheap

they use a 5 rib belt but do work with a 4 rib belt assuming it’s lined up right

they are 100-120A depending on age/quality

should be easy to get from a wrecker for <$50

Hmmm…im thinking replace A/C unit with altornator…it doesnt work to begin with…then i could run a complete charging system appart from the factory one just for my system. But honestly…if you need that much power like myself…your weighing your car down and it hurts :cry:…but i love the bass that u can hear a good 3 blocks away in the summer.

It’s not too bad… I weighed my subs and they were 65 lbs.

its right over your rear wheels too which makes the rear really bouncy and unpredicable when drifting. Im having a tough choice…system or no system…I love the bass but it ruins the ride and handling. 65 pounds is a LOT of unnessessary weight.

it shouldn’t make your car very bouncy, and 65lbs isn’t that much. not to mnetion it is a lot for a sub and an amp you coud easilly do a decent box and sub for 30lbs

with stock suspension sasha its really quite bouncy. It was far more predictable what the rear end would do when breaking traction without the system weighing it down. Drag racers would skin theirselves to loose that kind of weight. When u want to push a bit on the road u kinda wish that weight wasnt there…but the times ur cruizing on your own makes up for it.

check out this website for DIY quest alternator

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=131961

hope it helps! i plan on doing this myself sometime in the near future