Tell me what you know V. the 3.4L Twin dual

Ive been trying to do research on the good ole GM 3.4L twin dual.

This is what i do know.

Its a bored out 3.1L, So im assuming the rods and crank can be interchanged.

YES i know the 3.4L uses a timing belt that needs to be changed every 60k

Yes i now the alternator is a pain in the balls to change.

I was wondering…
1.) Is theres ANY aftermarket for the motor itself
2.) Can the engine be mounted in RWD orientation.
3.) How are they on power output?
4.) Is it the same block as the pushrod 3.4L they used for a short period in the f-body’s
5.) any other information you know would be awesome

Basically someone on s10planet is looking to boost this and put it in his s-10 in RWD orientation, but hes having trouble finding info on teh motor.

Try some Z34 forums and such.

waterpumps timing belts dont know about the intakes though or i would offer more knowledge

its has amazing potential…i think i read somwhere is was orignially the designed for Indy car teams or something and seriously detuned

[quote=“MaximaSE98,post:4,topic:25873"”]

is was orignially the designed for Indy car teams or something and seriously detuned

[/quote]

ermm, doubt it. its an adaptation of an older pushrod 6cyl, iirc.

Maxima isnt to far off with that statement…

The original version of the 3.4 was made to destroy all other motors in it’s class in the early 90’s. They wanted to attack the Mustangs and GN’s. It was originally intended to make over 350hp. However the FWD tranny’s of the day couldnt handle it. It was detuned all the way to 200-215hp before tranny’s started surviving. However all they did was change the 4 cams. Everything else stayed the same. The exhuast ports are huge for the motor, which is a reason why they have such a raspy exhaust note when opened up. If you can get original specs and get 4 cams ground your right back where GM intended. Sorta…as everyone knows there’s more to making power than just slapping cams in. It also uses hemispherical combustion chambers…technically making it a GM hemi. lol That’s all I got for now. I have a Z34 now with a 3.4 crate motor in it as well as a almost complete spare motor. I love the cars.

1.Aftermarket for the 3.4 is very sparce. Besides chips and intakes…your on your own with anything else.
2.Yes
3.Stock was 200-215. Alot more potential however.
4.It’s a 60° block, I dont believe the 3.4 in the F-body was
5. http://60degreev6.com/,http://www.w-body.com Are 2 of the best sites for it. Also check some Fiero boards. 3.4 in the fiero was a very common swap. Alot of people have turbo’d them and made fully custom everything, pushing almost 500hp.

:word: The 3.4 is an awesome motor, I wish it was put in better cars. And although it was never put in a RWD application, you could make it work in one.

I wish it was put in better cars
Heey.
:word: http://60degreev6.com/ is ur best bet. There’s alot of guys talkin about how they “plan” on putting a turbo on their 3.4TDC but, have only seen/read of 2-3.

[quote=“13005TEDGP,post:8,topic:25873"”]

Heey.
:word: http://60degreev6.com/ is ur best bet. There’s alot of guys talkin about how they “plan” on putting a turbo on their 3.4TDC but, have only seen/read of 2-3.

[/quote]

Theres a good thread on there with a cpl guys fab’n and selling manifolds for turbo’s on the 3.4…when they finaly get a production model…I may jump on the boost bandwagon

Yea, it would have decimated alot of supposedly good FWD engines that followed it, if only they had a tranny to take it. Maybe Paul will hit this thread, he knows way too much about them.

I got a transmission that’ll take it…but, it would be even better if they had a 5/6speed that would take it

good info, keep it comin

and i read the thread about the manifolds, and it would be a bitch to put that setup in RWD orientation, Prolly have to go with custom manifolds

[quote=“ImportMuscle”"]

Ive been trying to do research on the good ole GM 3.4L twin dual.

This is what i do know.

Its a bored out 3.1L, So im assuming the rods and crank can be interchanged.

YES i know the 3.4L uses a timing belt that needs to be changed every 60k

Yes i now the alternator is a pain in the balls to change.

I was wondering…
1.) Is theres ANY aftermarket for the motor itself
2.) Can the engine be mounted in RWD orientation.
3.) How are they on power output?
4.) Is it the same block as the pushrod 3.4L they used for a short period in the f-body’s
5.) any other information you know would be awesome

Basically someone on s10planet is looking to boost this and put it in his s-10 in RWD orientation, but hes having trouble finding info on teh motor.

[/quote]

Although it has the same bore/stroke as the 3.4 in the f-bods and 3400 in gm minivans, grand ams, etc., the block is unique to the 3.4 dohc as it has an intermediate shaft where a normal cam would be, and no lifter provisions. The oiling system is also different to accomodate the 4 cams.

There is no real aftermarket for it, but with headers, revised cam timing and custom intake manifold, the few who have tried have achieved over 300hp NA and over 500hp boosted.

will it fit in a s10? short answer…NO
with enough mods?..yes

even though it would “bolt in” on the stock mounts, you would need:
a remote oil filter,
different oil pan,
starter is on the opposite side,
custom headers are a must(fwd manifolds-no way),
brake booster is in the way(tall, wide, cam covers),
intake manifold would have to be flipped around,
fuel injector rail flipped,
power steering pump relocated,
and wiring it up would be fun:)

I have seen a rwd conversion done in a small sports car(don’t remember what) years ago and with headers/exhaust it sounded cool and looked awesome.

For an s10 swap if you’re staying with a 60degreev6, the best choice would be a 3.4 f-bod engine, or if this guy can do some mods, same 3.4 short block with a 3400 head/intake swap. this will pick up about 30hp NA.
boost it for more fun.

ugh i love those motors. but it was alot easier for me to put the 3400 in my car instead of that.

x2 on 60degreev6.com some really smart guys on that site.