LA1 3400 discussion

Ok, so ive been readin on how the most recent 3.4L is a bored out 3.1L (if im reading correctly…
LA1

The LA1 3400 was a bored-out version of the LG8. It retained the OHV layout of the previous engine, and was first utilized on the 1996 U platform minivans and appeared in a car for the first time in the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am and Oldsmobile Alero. A 92 mm bore brought the displacement to 3.4 L (3350 cc). Like the LG8, the LA1 featured numerous common parts with the similar GM High Value engine family. Power was up to 170 hp-185 hp (127 kW to 138 kW) and torque was 210 ft·lb.

Now, does this same method of manufacturing apply to any of the 3.8L engines in the GTP’s?

IE: Would there be any possibility of using GTP parts on a RWD oriented 3.4L pushrod 60 Degree V6, Mainly…

this 3.4L

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/EngineShowcase/index.jsp?engId=HT34V6&engine=HT%203.4%20V6&sku=12363230&engCat=rpo

Just curious…

EDIT: IM assuming the RWD 3800 is a completely different motorfrom the FWD 3800 and no parts are interchangeable…

why not just do a 3.8 swap with an over bore to 4.1 with the gtp charger on top.

or…why not just man up, and get an LS1/2/6/7?

just curious is all

The 3.8 is not a 60* V6.

The 3.8L is a 90* motor, and none of the parts swap over.

However, the 3.8L FWD can work in an RWD application. It bolts right up to a 98-02 V6 f-body 5 spd. Issues are motor mounts, and the TB being in the rear (and hood clearance I think in older Camaros). There have been several swaps done already. If you want to look for more information on it, check out Motorswap.org. There is a guy there who just posted pictures of his 3.8L SC (L67) he is putting in his Camaro.

Hope that might help.

^what he said.

but what is this going into? an s10?

[quote=“90NA300ZX,post:3,topic:27781"”]

or…why not just man up, and get an LS1/2/6/7?

[/quote]

L67 pwns j00

and if it is for an s-10 y not just make a syclone out of it? those turbo 4.3’s are schweet

‘the GM 3.1 should come with spare main bearings in the glovebox’ - car craft, 2001

Just to add what those guys said above. The Series II 3800 L67 and L36 are the same block, just different pistons for sure, and IIRC the crank and rods are the same. The heads are different from the L36 (N/A) to the L67 (L67). The fuel injector bosses are in the heads of the L67 because of clearance issues from the supercharger.
Now another fun swap nugget. A guy that has a modded W-Body car (FWD SeriesII 3800. swapped a L36 short block with the heads, intake manifold and supercharger into a '87 Olds Cutlass. He kept the M90 with the sameway as FWD so he had the T.B. pointing right at the firewall. He had to cut a huge portion of the firewall out to get things to work (plumbing). Also, as posted above, he made his own motor mounts. But, got to use the FWD serp. belt routing (pulleys). The modded L67 ran a best of somewhere in the low 12’s and also noted that he said he got air under one of his tires on the launch. :wink:

Actually I found his page. (would’ve save me some typing):rolleyes:

http://hometown.aol.com/powertrip186/index.html

Actually, I think I might pull the 400csb outa my '78 malibu wagon and do the same swap. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Joe_Omerta,post:8,topic:27781"”]

L67 pwns j00

and if it is for an s-10 y not just make a syclone out of it? those turbo 4.3’s are schweet

[/quote]

THAT motor is already being worked on :wink:

Just thinking ahead to the next project

Maybe a GTP swap into an 4x4 first gen blazer converted to AWD?

Those L67’s are starting to make there way into rock crawlers and sand rails or dune buggies…whatever they’re called. Like I was saying I might rebuild one of my 3800’s I got here and plop it into the wagon. I already got the PCM write/read/scan progammer, and harness’ aint shit for me. :stuck_out_tongue: