Tesla Model III (3, Three) $35k

Not sure how I feel about this. It’s awesome, but at the same time :thinking:

1 Like

Mods will no longer be parts but just software updates hahah

Wondering when we will see Jailbroken Tesla’s. No need to pay 2k when you can pay someone $100 to get the same results.

I mean it makes sense and people have been tuning / chipping / etc vehicles since someone figured out it was possible.

What if all vehicles sold off the lot were the base model. Then, over time (and over the air) you could upgrade as you like. So you buy the newest BMW 3 series and can upgrade it to an M3 with the tap of a button. Maybe this is the future with electric cars.

Looks like the 1/4 times are coming in.

11.86@116 is one I heard with the new s/w update

I can only imagine how much Tesla would deny you access to if you applied an update like that through a jailbreak. They’ve already played fast and loose with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and are getting sued.

But again, when you’re nothing but a charlatan like Musk this shouldn’t surprise anyone. How many jobs came out of the almost a billion dollars the state pumped into Musk’s Riverbend site?

Ol’ Musky got his money and NY is left with a $958 million investment that’s worth $75 million now. Seriously, fuck that guy.

Two years ago I turned down a job there as an engineer not because of pay, but I had to be on call 24/7 without over time.

I can work 50-60 hours a week for a salary but not 100 at 2am on a Sunday.

Wish them all the best though. I’d hate to see any business close down, lots of people supporting their families there.

EDIT - If they were to close it down, what do you think they would do with all of those solar panels/kits? Auction them off? I’d be down for some solar.

How many have they actually produced? Isn’t that the big problem, they aren’t delivering on anywhere near the amount they said they were going to make?

EDIT: I can’t find any sources that will give a number of panels produced stat. I see “capacity to make 10k/day” but nothing about what they’ve actually made. I did see an article that said they had to start making some supercharger parts there just to meet the state minimum jobs created part of the contract, which is now around 800 people. $958 million invested for 800 jobs. You could have better simulated the economy by giving a random 95,800 people in WNY $10k gift cards to local businesses than a measly 800 jobs.

I hope Musk gets run over by one of his ugly trucks.

1 Like

Not if they spend on Heroin! Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Not sure if this is a good idea or not…

See, a shop in Quebec, Canada called Simon André figured out how to swap a single-motor Tesla Model 3 to a dual-motor setup, and part of doing that meant busting into the power inverter’s software to reconfigure it. Once the shop hacked its way through Tesla’s IP, it found that switching to dual motors wasn’t the only thing it could do. It could also add Tesla’s 50 horsepower Acceleration Boost without clearance from the Tesla mothership.

As we mentioned earlier, Acceleration Boost usually would set you back $2,000 – that’s one hell of an in-app purchase – but once this shop figured out how to unlock the boost itself. Now, the shop’s owner spun off a new (and likely short-lived) company called Ingenext that offers an increase of just $1,100 as the “Boost 50” upgrade.

That’s awesome. Tesla can void your warranty I’m sure but I doubt they’ll have much legal recourse beyond that. It’s very similar to jailbreaking your phone to allow it to do things Apple doesn’t want. It’s your phone, you can do what you want with it.

https://www.wired.com/2010/07/feds-ok-iphone-jailbreaking/#:~:text=Jailbreaking%20is%20hacking%20the%20phone’s,applications%20not%20authorized%20by%20Apple.&text=Apple%20says%20it’s%20unlawful%20to,the%20underground%20app%20store%20Cydia.

It’s pretty much like what VW/Audi does with tunes, possibly void warranty but make jams

I’m curious if this becomes a legal problem. I remember the guy buying a used Tesla which he was told had the boost mode. After purchasing, Tesla went and updated the system removing the boost mode on him saying he didn’t pay for it.

I’m wondering what happens if Tesla puts an update out and you already had this other company do the Boost mode for you, will your software no longer register with them? Can they swap it back if they find you didn’t pay for it but it’s active. Really curious how they code this stuff in to hide it from Tesla.

Yeah, the whole jailbreaking the car to install mods thing is going to be interesting when you bring the car back to Tesla for some work, or they do an OTA update and patch the hole the mod company used and remove your mods. The same thing happens all the time with iPhone jailbreaks and purchased jailbreak apps and Apple has never had court problems because of it. The only time Apple got slapped by the courts was when they tried to argue that jailbreaking by the end user was illegal, which the court said wasn’t the case because you own the device.

Pretty sure Tesla is in the clear to remove the mods/hack if you bring it in for service, and they’re likely in the clear for the OTA update as long as you the end user have the option to disable those updates.

LOL… wow…

1 Like

That’s hilarious. Similar to the Ford GT when they bundled washers in tape and used it to space things out.

i need to read about this

I just did a quick search and can’t seem to find the pics anymore online. But here’s the old thread:

lol.
I bet if the parts were not faux wood grain, nobody would have questioned it.