Thanks, Mike. (D2 Coilovers)

Thats the way it should have looked from the beginning

:tup: hot shit

very nice… :slight_smile: hotttt

rides sick. ask kcuv… now i could use bigger sways i think… stilll gets some roll…

awesome man :tup:

umm…

Newman did you buy D2’s?

no offense but they are the worst coilovers on the planet and they are not rated to be driven in -5 temps (degrees celsius)…

i have D2’s and i have replaced all the dampers in my coilovers twice… in fact almost 3 times.

fortunately for you however, i have like 20 extra dampers that i continually have rebuilt and recharged all the time so when yours crap out on you this winter i could likely hook a nigga up.

hes swapping the stock joints back in for winter

That is not accurate as of now Bing. It is true that the first run of D2 coilovers had issues with cold weather, due to the manufacturer making an error. The issue was that the manufacturer had put the wrong oil in which caused for a loud shock in cold weather as well as some degredation in the damper’s ability to retain stiffness via adjustment.

If you follow the application release schedule for D2s, the 240 community was the heaviest hit since they were the first ones to have D2s available. A few in the MR2 and DSM community had the issue as well. Once D2 was made aware of the situation, they remedied it and future shipments no longer have that problem.

Other than that, why do you think they are the worst coilovers on the planet? I’m interested in what issues you personally have experienced. I’ve heard some people complain about “bounciness”, and a few other issues, but that isn’t the manufacturer fault IMO, but user error in spring rate application and understanding of how the coilover system D2 uses works. For some applications, it is not advised to use the standard spring rates that D2 offers.

D2s are very good for the price as a “midrange” suspension solution if you do your research, understand how suspension works, and know what to ask D2 to send you. They are no JIC FLT-A2 or anything like that though.

mmm, if the Z gets anything at this rate, it’ll be that. or Motons, er Ohlins, er, oh wait. I like the stock Track edition shit, it’s plenty for me (I’ll admit: I can’t really out-drive the car as of now).

joe just put some meaty sways(F+R) in his white one this weeked…needless to say with fpgreen, its a little ass happy…

-talk to him and see what he says about his experience with them, as he has done 1 auto-x on them and can help with which way you want to go with the sways.

his username is subyfreak05 btw

nothing wrong w/ ass-happy cars, you silly front-wheel-er…, well, close 'nuf AWD kiddies :wink:

i told you it looked fly, then flushed the toilet while you were in the shower and you screamed like a girl.

:tup: !!!

i have 2 sets od D2 coilovers, one in each of my S13’s.

the reason i have them is because i have so many dampers and because i have them rebuilt and just swap them over.

i was not aware that D2 had made any siginificant changes to their coilovers to be honest. The reason i was not aware is because the whole 240sx community pretty much wrote them off 2 years ago and no one buys them new anymore…

also, i dont understand why people are jocking JIC either, they are pretty reknown for being mediocre at best. heck, their multi-link is over priced and it is lacking some key features that lesser known brands pack at a lower price… the same is true of their coilovers.

very true that user error is very often the case with coilovers because in all honesty very few people know how to set them up properly. however…

i have had a variety of failures on my coilovers… as much as i like aluminum hardware for weight savings, all of my collars are wrecked to the point where the spanner wrenches are useless… but that is partially because i have to take my coilovers apart so often. i have literally changed all 4 dampers in my coupe twice and then odd dampers when they fail.

i have also changed my springs because the D2 springs rotted out and got soft.

i now run QA1 springs in similar rates as before.

can you tell me more about what changes were made to the oil?

we have changed oil in some of the dampers and we will be redoing ALOT of D2 dampers this winter… i am very interested to know where you got this information from… because if the oil is the culprit that would be very convenient.

i can say that virtually every single damper that clunked or blew prematurely has completely lost all gas pressure… they all had to be refilled with nitro and some of the early dampers did not even have a schraeder valve.

we’ll be dyno’ing the dampers and playing with different setting this off season

sorry to thread jack newman…

rick, i have pictures of all the changes that we made:

http://www.bings.ca/images/new%20springs.JPG

notice the old springs are beat to shit, the QA1 springs made a huge difference after setting the pre-load properly, i was quite happy with them after changes i made in the parking lot of the hotel in Carlisle… justin and nate were there… it was hilarious.

i dont have pics of the recharging or dissassmebly but i do have several dampers with bent pistons that we will be using for parts as well as dampers that no longer adjust for whatever reason… i should have about 6-8 dampers that are useless for one reasn or another.

For anyone considering coilovers in the near future, forget D2 and JIC… forget K-sport, Form and Function, etc. etc. there are soooo many bull-shit coilovers on the market right now (JIC is not bad, they are just over hyped)

Some Tein’s are ghey too, some are wicked though.

Josh has KTS and i’ve read and heard nothing but great stuff about them.

the newest coils kicking ass are STANCE coilovers, being run in the USA by Touge Factory out of Chi-Town… inverted dampers, 2 sets of springs, extremely beefy, like 80lbs for a set of 4… that means business

they are also devleoping a version of their coils with external resevoirs. the guys that are running the show are very open about the performance of the dampers, they post the shock dynos on various forums where discussions are going down.

STANCE coilovers are also serviced in the US out of Chicago… that is the kind of company you want to be dealing with.

as opposed to a company like Tanabe that despite their obvious quality wants $600 to rebuild a single damper = wack-balls

Thread cleaning in progress. Because of course 98% of Newman’s threads go off the deep end for one reason or another :roll:

For Newman’s drift adventure, go here:

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18186

For more auto related discussion, stay right here.

Bing, give me a sec, I’ll chime in.

Personally having installed D2 coilovers I am not impressed by them. IMO for the money there are better coilovers available on the market. Small details like the finish machine work on parts, the perch locks, the perch spanner wrenches etc… Did not impress me and for the money I would think that one would receive higher quality. As for the big details like fitment, operation, and overall feel I again was not impressed. This is my opinion of the product based on experiences installing and using them.

D2’s just seem cheap to me. For good reason.

Find me a coilover for the same price that is of better quality.

Also keep in mind that some cars don’t have the same range of choices as others for aftermarket support when it comes to things like coilovers. It’s all relative.

What you paid and what the average joe pays are 2 different things :wink:

This was merely my review of a product having installed them and serviced them,