the 100-0 basketball shutout thread.

This was on the Today Show actually. A few times the losing teams coach asked his players if they wanted to stop playing, they said no, they wanted to continue, didn’t want to quit.

The team has also not won a game in 5 years…

when the story ran they didn’t say anything about the other coach being fired so i guess something happened after that interview.

The story ran with “bad news bears” in the opening speal. It was a good monday morning LOL

hey im 18, and they’re varsity :wink:

well, you’re ok then. (do it)

clearly you didnt read the articles

i think the most awesome thing i ever witnessed (or saw on tv…lol) was a highschool football team who was getting their first shutout in school history, and it was like 42-0. and the coach called over the other coach from the winning team and asked if it would be okay if the mentally challenged player would be able to run a play.

the winning coach said yes, and said “lets go ahead and let him score too”, so they hiked the ball and let the kid run up the field like 40yards and he scored and everyone was cheering n shit.

the coach who let him do that got calls from everyone, he was even asked to come to a few NFL team practices to “teach” sportsmanship to the players

:tup:

That’s not sportsmanship, that’s pity. People were cheering for him because they feel that they have some sort of moral obligation to cheer on a retarded kid. The coach said yes because if he didn’t he’d be the biggest douchebag in the town. Sympathy has nothing to do with sportsmanship.

Maybe they were cheering because they knew how happy that kid was to make a play like that. Not everyone pities kids with special needs. compassion and empathy are not the same as pity. You obviously have no experience with “retarded kids.” That feeling he must have had running down the field was a greater feeling than just about any that a real athlete could ever experience.

But on a sports team there are no “special” kids more times then not. I’m sure it was a great feeling for him, but still has nothing to do with sportsmanship.

but… in the instance you were referencing, there was a special needs kid. so your statement is moot.

They aren’t “special” or retarded… they may however have special needs or be mentally retarded. However, calling anyone who is slow or has special needs retarded is about as ignorant as you can get. You are obviously not an expert nor do you have knowledge to the persons diagnosis so to make a blanket statement like “retarded” only shows your own ignorance.

And, I think you need to check your stats on the inclusion of kids with learning or physical impairments in school sports nowadays because you’ll find them on a lot of teams. Just because you don’t see them drooling on the sidelines doesn’t mean that one or more of those kids aren’t there just to support their moral.

Retard or to retard means to slow down. So mental retardation is a reasonable definition for a person with “special needs”. I seriously have not seen to many High School teams or professional sports teams with challenged kids on their teams. Does it happen? Of course. This however has nothing to do with the fact of the a High School team winning a game 100-0 and firing the coach.

Oh, and sportsmanship is a concept derived within one’s own self. The line one draws as to the extent that sportsmanship should apply is up to a personal judgment as long as it is greater than or equal to the communities perception.

In regards to the case in the original post, the community obviously felt that there was not an antiquate display of sportsmanship. none of us know the entire story so all we can do is play on our own intuition.

In the case of the kid running it in for a touchdown, the losing coach did make an uncomfortable proposition to the winning coach but everything turned out alright and the community supported both sides. I would even go so far as to bet that most of the winning team supported the decision and even felt better about themselves after the event.

mental retardation is not the same as retard. And, you’re definition of retard does not apply to people, it applies to objects or as an idea, not as a description of a person.

I am totally agreeing that everyone felt great about letting the handicapped, challenged, physically/mentally different or w/e kid score the touchdown. But only based on the fact that he was challenged. If the losing coach said can you let one of our non-challenged kids score, I’m sure the situation would have been different.

Should a team that works hard and plays to their best have to stop because they are winning by a lard margin? I don’t think so. Should the Sabres have pulled Miller because they were up 10-1 (at one point) over the Oilers? No. These girls played their hardest and won against a team of 8 girls, most of which had never played basketball before. The one girl said she even learned from it and had fun with her friends. Yet the coach of the winning team is fired.

I used it as a noun not as an adjective. The term retard is the process of slowing down. Clearly this is a viable example to describe someone who suffers a mental disability’s condition. As in “her thought process was retarded”. “Or his brain began to retard.”

Well after the Oilers pulled Roloson, maybe Lindy should have called it quits.

this post makes my brain retard just a little. You were using retard as a noun? you need to brush up on the English language before you post. both of your examples use retard/retarded as verbs.

I am well aware of that. See used is the past tense of use or to use. So when I called the mentally challenged kid a retard in my prior posts it was in the noun form.

verb
edit: or adjective depending on how you perceive it… but by your repeated definition it’s a verb

The mentally challenged child is a retard…is that better.

Again this has nothing to do with a girls basketball team shellacking another girls team 100-0.

That sentence is grammatically acceptable, assuming you don’t intend on the usage of “to slow down” to apply to your sentence. Once again, when retard is used as a noun towards a person it takes on what Webster’s Dictionary describes as “offensive slang.” So, assuming you want to use said “offensive slang” to describe a mentally challenged child then you are absolutely correct.
I would like to apologize, sir. I pegged you as ignorant but it appears that my judgment gave you the benefit of the doubt and your problems obviously stem from somewhere much deeper in your soul…